Complex analysis vs. PDE class

In summary, the rising junior wants to take an applied math course but is undecided between two offered by the mathematics and mechanical engineering departments. The applied math course is prereq for an upper division continuous signal processing class in the engineering department, but the discrete signal processing class is not.
flemmyd
Im a rising junior in the US starting my upper division physics classes.
I have an opening this quarter and want to take an applied math course, but cannot decide between these two:

In the mathematics department:
"Applied complex anlysis
Introduction to complex functions and their applications to engineering and science. Complex numbers, elementary functions; analytic functions; complex integration; power series; residue theory; conformal maps; applications."

In the mechanical engr department
"Introduction to Engineering Analysis
Analytical methods in engineering. Nonhomogeneous linear ordinary differential equations. Variable coefficient linear ordinary differential equations. Eigenfunction expansions. Laplace transforms. Introduction to Fourier transforms. Linear partial differential equations."

I haven't decided on my research interest too much, but materials, spectroscopy and signal processing have caught my interest. I was thinking about taking an elemtary analysis course my senior year so I could study Fourier analysis a little more--something i know that would have relevance to both quantum and signal processing. I have no idea if i can handle the theorem-proof method of learning mathematics though.

If anyone has any input on which class they would recommend, please tell me. I cannot take both classes, unfortunately. It's possible I could take once class this year and the other one next year.

Also: the applied complex analysis course is a pre req for an upper div continuous signal processing class in the EE department (but not the discrete signal processing class).

EDIT: these are both upper division classes. I've already taken all my lower division math classes (linear algebra, differ eq, etc).

Physics news on Phys.org
no one has ANY input on this subject?

Hi, flemmyd!

It's a tough choice you have to make :)

I'm not sure what the level of the complex analysis course you quoted above is, but since it's in the maths department I can assure you that almost all of what you'll be seeing there will consist of the 'theorem-proof method' (besides the chapters on residual calculus and Laurent series). However it says 'Applied cpx Analysis..' so this is something I'd strongly recommend you to check.

On the other hand, complex analysis is one of the most beautiful (i.e. mathematically simple) theories (in my personal opinion), so it's worth learning it anyway. I would say that it also requires Real Analysis in 2 dimensions and a tiny bit of linear algebra.

From the resume of the other course, I see it's mainly about mathematical tools for manipulating ODE's and simple PDE's. If you have already taken Classical Electrodynamics or Quantum Mechanics, then it will be kind of boring (in comparison to cpx. analysis). However, if not - practising this stuff will help you significantly to concentrate on the physics of the two fields later on (E-dynamics and QM). The topics of this course are routine techniques used permanently there.

Now, if you really want to understand where Fourier series (FS) and Transform (FT) come from and what they really mean and so on, you'd better consider visiting a Functional Analysis course. (this is a very hard but interesting course usually having as prereq's loads of real analysis and linear algebra and is purely mathematical, but then you know what FT is all about and also many more)

I'm sorry, but I'm not able to tell you to do one or the other. You have to weight up the advantages and the disadvantages by yourself. Nonetheless, I hope to have helped you a little bit towards your decision :)

with regards,
marin

1. What is the difference between complex analysis and PDE?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of complex variables, while PDE (partial differential equations) is a subfield of mathematics that studies equations involving partial derivatives of multivariable functions. In other words, complex analysis focuses on the properties of complex valued functions, while PDE focuses on the behavior of multivariable functions and their derivatives.

2. Is complex analysis a prerequisite for studying PDE?

No, complex analysis is not a prerequisite for studying PDE. However, it can be helpful in understanding certain concepts in PDE, such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations and the use of complex variables in solving PDEs.

3. How are complex analysis and PDE used in real-world applications?

Both complex analysis and PDE have many real-world applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, complex analysis is used in electrical engineering to study alternating currents and in fluid dynamics to analyze the flow of fluids. PDE is used in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

4. Which field is more theoretical, complex analysis or PDE?

Both complex analysis and PDE have theoretical foundations, but complex analysis is generally considered to be more theoretical. This is because it deals with the properties of complex functions, which can be more abstract and less intuitive compared to multivariable functions in PDE.

5. Can complex analysis and PDE be applied together?

Yes, complex analysis and PDE can be applied together in certain cases. For example, the study of elliptic PDEs often involves the use of complex analysis techniques, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations from complex analysis are used in the study of analytic functions, which have applications in solving certain PDEs.