Complex components of stress-energy tensor

In summary, when evaluating the components of the stress-energy tensor for a (Klein-Gordon) complex scalar field, it is important to note that all components should be real due to the symmetry of the tensor. In particular, the non-real contributions may come from terms involving different indices c and d. However, in a local inertial frame or in the general case with a symmetric metric, these contributions are canceled out, ensuring that all components are real.
xpet
Hi All,
I am evaluating the components of the stress-energy tensor for a (Klein-Gordon) complex scalar field. The ultimate aim is to use these in evolving the scalar field using the Klein-Gordon equations, coupled to Einstein's equations for evolving the geometric part. The tensor is given by
Tab = ½(∂aΦ* ∂bΦ + ∂aΦ ∂bΦ*) - ½gab(gcdcΦ* ∂dΦ + V(|Φ|2))
All indices run from 0 to 3, and Φ* is the complex conjugate of Φ.
Now, evaluating the components of this stress-energy tensor, not all components the stress-energy tensor are real. In particular, when indices a and b are different. I just need to confirm if this observation is correct. The reason being that, part of the simulation code I will use seems to expect a stress-energy tensor with all real components.

Any help and insights will be appreciated.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
xpet said:
evaluating the components of this stress-energy tensor, not all components the stress-energy tensor are real.

They should be. If they aren't, there's a mistake somewhere.

xpet said:
In particular, when indices a and b are different.

Note that the stress-energy tensor is symmetric, so ##T_{ab} = T_{ba}##. The formula you wrote down should make that easy to prove; but it also should make it easy to see that this symmetry ensures that all of the components are real.

(Another way to see that all the components must be real is to work in local inertial coordinates, where the metric is the Minkowski metric and all of the terms with a and b being different vanish.)

Also note that, in a general curved spacetime, you should be using covariant derivatives, not partial derivatives. (But if you use local inertial coordinates, they are the same.)

Thanks for the reply. I am re-doing the calculations again for the components, to see if I get them to be real. Just one correction though: My point about different indices was meant to refer to c and d. Basically, the non-real contributions will come from #gcdc Φ*∂dΦ#
Yes, I'm aware of the symmetry of the tensor, and of the need for replacing the partial derivatives with covariant derivatives in curved spacetimes. I will get back with feedback.

Last edited:
xpet said:
My point about different indices was meant to refer to c and d.

But in a local inertial frame, where the metric is Minkowski, there are no terms where c and d are different. And even in the general case, the metric is symmetric, so terms with different c and d occur in pairs with c and d swapped. If you work it out, you should find that those things imply that all of the stress-energy components are real.

1. What is the stress-energy tensor?

The stress-energy tensor is a mathematical object used in Einstein's theory of general relativity to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in a given region of space. It contains 10 components that represent the different types of energy and momentum present in a system, including mass, pressure, and shear stress.

2. How is the stress-energy tensor calculated?

The stress-energy tensor is calculated using the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy within it. It involves solving a set of differential equations using mathematical techniques such as tensor calculus.

3. What is the physical significance of the components of the stress-energy tensor?

The different components of the stress-energy tensor represent different physical quantities, such as energy density, momentum density, and pressure. Each component contributes to the overall curvature of spacetime and plays a role in determining the motion of particles in a gravitational field.

4. How does the stress-energy tensor relate to the concept of stress and energy?

The stress-energy tensor is a mathematical representation of the physical quantities of stress and energy. It combines the concepts of stress, which describes the forces acting on a system, and energy, which describes the ability of a system to do work, into a single object that can be used to understand the dynamics of spacetime.

5. What are some practical applications of the stress-energy tensor?

The stress-energy tensor is used in many areas of physics, including astrophysics, cosmology, and particle physics. It is essential for understanding the behavior of massive objects like stars and black holes, as well as the evolution of the universe as a whole. It is also used in calculations for technologies such as GPS and satellite communications, which rely on precise measurements of spacetime curvature.