Complex conjugate on an inner product

I was trying to prove it from the definition of the inner product, but now I see that I needed to use the definition of the complex conjugate as well. Thanks for your help!In summary, the conversation was about proving that a given set and operation satisfies the definition of an inner product. The key steps in the proof involved using the definition of a complex conjugate and breaking down the problem into smaller steps. Ultimately, it was shown that the set and operation do indeed satisfy the definition of an inner product.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Consider the set ##C^2= {x=(x_1,x_2):x_1,x_2 \in C}##.

Prove that ##<x,y>=x_1 \overline{y_1}+x_2 \overline{y_2}## defines an inner product on ##C^2##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##<,y>=\overline {<y,x>}##

##= \overline {y_1x_1} + \overline {y_2x_2}##

I think I need some other information to continue...?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the set ##C^2= {x=(x_1,x_2):x_1,x_2 \in C}##.

Prove that ##<x,y>=x_1 \overline{y_1}+x_2 \overline{y_2}## defines an inner product on ##C^2##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##<,y>=\overline {<y,x>}##

I think I need some other information to continue...?

Thanks

verify that this satisfies the definition of an inner product:

##<x,y>=\overline{<y,x>}##
##<x+y,z>=<x,z>+<y,z>##
##<ax,z>=a<x,z>##
##<x,x> \geq 0##
##<x,x>=0 \iff x=0##

for all x,y,z in ##C^2## and for all complex scalars a

CornMuffin said:
verify that this satisfies the definition of an inner product:

##<x,y>=\overline{<y,x>}##
##<x+y,z>=<x,z>+<y,z>##
##<ax,z>=a<x,z>##
##<x,x> \geq 0##
##<x,x>=0 \iff x=0##

for all x,y,z in ##C^2## and for all complex scalars a

I can verify the above for x,y,z in ##R^2## but don't know how to extend to the complex field...? Especially the first axiom..

THanks

bugatti79 said:
I can verify the above for x,y,z in ##R^2## but don't know how to extend to the complex field...? Especially the first axiom..

THanks

##\overline{x}## means the complex conjugate of ##x##, that is if ##x=a+ib## for ##a,b \in \mathbb{R}## then ##\overline{x} = a-ib##

find ##\overline{<y,x>}## and show that it simplifies to ##x_1\overline{y_1} + x_2\overline{y_2}=<x,y>##

bugatti79 said:
##\overline {<y,x>}##

This is wrong. Use the definition you posted, and you'll see that.

CornMuffin said:
##\overline{x}## means the complex conjugate of ##x##, that is if ##x=a+ib## for ##a,b \in \mathbb{R}## then ##\overline{x} = a-ib##

find ##\overline{<y,x>}## and show that it simplifies to ##x_1\overline{y_1} + x_2\overline{y_2}=<x,y>##

Fredrik said:
This is wrong. Use the definition you posted, and you'll see that.

1) ##<x,y>=\overline{<y,x>}=\overline{ y_1\overline{x_1}}+\overline { y_2\overline{x_2}}=\overline{y_1}x_1+\overline{y_2}x_2##

2) ##<x+y,z>=(x_1+y_1)\overline{z_1}+(x_2+y_2) \overline{z_2}=x_1\overline {z_1}+y_1\overline {z_1}+x_2\overline {z_2}+y_2\overline {z_2}=<x,z>+<y,z>##

3)##<\alpha x,y>= \alpha x_1 \overline{y_1}+\alpha x_2 \overline{y_2}=\alpha(x_1 \overline{y_1}+x_2\overline{y_2})=\alpha<x,y>##

4)##<x,x>=x_1 \overline{x_1}+x_2 \overline{x_2}=|x_1|^2+|x_2|^2>=0## since by definition ##z \overline{z}=|z|^2>=0## and ##<x,x>=0## iff x=0, that is x1=x2=0...

thanks

Last edited:
2-4 are fine. In part 1, the first equality you wrote down is the one you're trying to prove. This is of course not OK. Your string of equalities should end with =<x,y>, not begin with <x,y>=. The best way to do this is one step at a time, like this:
$$\overline{\langle y,x\rangle} =\overline{y_1\overline{x_1}+y_2\overline{x_2}} =\overline{y_1\overline{x_1}} +\overline{y_2\overline{x_2}} =\overline{y_1}\,\overline{\overline{x_1}} +\overline{y_2}\,\overline{\overline{x_2}}
= \overline{y_1}x_1+\overline{y_2}x_2 =x_1\overline{y_1}+x_2\overline{y_2} =\langle x,y\rangle$$.

Last edited:
Thanks Fredrik for the clarification.

1. What is a complex conjugate in an inner product?

A complex conjugate in an inner product is the complex number that is obtained by changing the sign of the imaginary part of a complex number. In an inner product, it is used to define the complex inner product space, where the inner product of a complex number and its complex conjugate is always a real number.

2. How is a complex conjugate used in an inner product?

In an inner product, the complex conjugate is used to define the complex inner product space, where the inner product of a complex number and its complex conjugate is always a real number. It is also used in the process of finding the orthogonal complement of a complex vector in a complex inner product space.

3. What is the importance of complex conjugates in inner products?

The concept of complex conjugates is essential in inner products because it allows for the definition of complex inner product spaces, which are necessary for many applications in mathematics and physics. It also simplifies calculations involving complex numbers in inner product spaces.

4. Can complex conjugates be used in any type of inner product?

Yes, complex conjugates can be used in any type of inner product, as long as the inner product space is defined over complex numbers. It is commonly used in complex inner product spaces, which are frequently used in quantum mechanics, signal processing, and other fields of mathematics and physics.

5. How are complex conjugates related to the conjugate transpose in an inner product?

In an inner product, the complex conjugate and the conjugate transpose are closely related. In fact, the conjugate transpose of a complex matrix is obtained by taking the complex conjugate of each entry in the matrix and then transposing it. This concept is commonly used in linear algebra and is important in the study of complex inner product spaces.