1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex contour integration problem.

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i have the closed ∫ (cos(z))/(3z-π)) dz

2. Relevant equations

i presume this works closed ∫ f(z)/(z-w) dz = f(w)2πi

3. The attempt at a solution

i think the answer is cos(pi)*2πi

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The answer is going to depend on whether your contour encloses the pole or not. But even if it does your answer is wrong. You don't have z-pi in the denominator, you've got 3*z-pi. That makes a difference. Write 3*z-pi=3*(z-pi/3). Now what do you get?

4. Nov 27, 2011 #3
    i can't believe i didn't factor. now i get 1/3*pi*i

5. Nov 27, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's better. But the answer still depends on the closed contour. I'd feel better if you described what it was.

6. Nov 27, 2011 #5
    1. evaluate each integral around the counter-clockwise circle lzl =1 repeat for lzl=2.

(a) ∮ cos(z)/(3z-pi) dz, (b) ∮ z /((9-z^2)*(2z-i)) dz

thats all it says. i think that the pole may be not be significant

7. Nov 27, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it's very significant. The pole in (a) is at z=pi/3. That's outside of the counter-clockwise circle |z|=1. What's the answer in that case?

8. Nov 27, 2011 #7
    so that would mean that the integrand is analytic in the interior and on the contour, so it would equal 0?

9. Nov 27, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes! Now continue with the other parts and pay attention to which poles are inside of the contour.

10. Nov 27, 2011 #9
    kk thanks alot

11. Nov 27, 2011 #10
    so being aware of the poles, in the case of (b) we have poles at z=-3,3,i/2. but the only one that matters is the i/2 because it is the only one inside the contour line. my only problem is now trying to get ∮ z/((9-z^2)(2z-i)) dz into the form f(w) ∮ 1/(z-w) dz

12. Nov 27, 2011 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Split the expression 1/((9-z^2)(2z-i)) up using partial fractions. Remember that trick? Or even simpler, just put f(z)=z/(9-z^2) and make the expression f(z)/(2z-i).

13. Nov 27, 2011 #12
    i did both, and the partial fractions is a little more ugly. but where i became stuck, is that i began to wonder if i had to do it twice the other one being where f(z) = z/(2z-i)

14. Nov 27, 2011 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure where the stuckness comes in. f(z)=z/(9-z^2) is analytic inside of both |z|=1 and |z|=2, isn't it? Just do f(z)/(2z-i). Just apply your theorem to that.

15. Nov 28, 2011 #14
    i guess my confusion is whether we can set f(z) = z/(9-z^2) OR f(z)= z/(2z-i). but i'd much rather just do z/(2z-i). so i suppose my question is just inquisitive. but i could see it expanded out to something like ∮ 1/(z^2-z+2) dz for lzl=1. in this case it isn't so easy to find an f(x) to set up the nice form of 2*pi*i f(w) from f(w) ∮ 1/(z-w) dz

16. Nov 28, 2011 #15
    actually upon further thinking of my question, it would have to have bounds ∮ 1/(z^2-z+2) dz for lzl=1 would be 0 but if i were to extend the radius out to lzl =2 then it gets more interesting

17. Nov 28, 2011 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you get from z/((9-z^2)*(2z-i)) to 1/(z^2-z+2)??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook