Complex contour integration problem.

That doesn't look right to me. Can you show me your work?In summary, we are evaluating integrals around a counter-clockwise circle with a radius of 1 and repeating for a circle with a radius of 2. The first integral is ∮ cos(z)/(3z-pi) dz and the pole is at z=pi/3, which is outside of the contour. This means the integral is equal to 0. The second integral is ∮ z/((9-z^2)*(2z-i)) dz and the poles are at z=-3,3,i/2. Only the pole at i/2 is inside the contour, so we can use the theorem to find the answer. We can split the
KNUCK7ES

Homework Statement

i have the closed ∫ (cos(z))/(3z-π)) dz

Homework Equations

i presume this works closed ∫ f(z)/(z-w) dz = f(w)2πi

The Attempt at a Solution

i think the answer is cos(pi)*2πi

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is going to depend on whether your contour encloses the pole or not. But even if it does your answer is wrong. You don't have z-pi in the denominator, you've got 3*z-pi. That makes a difference. Write 3*z-pi=3*(z-pi/3). Now what do you get?

i can't believe i didn't factor. now i get 1/3*pi*i

KNUCK7ES said:
i can't believe i didn't factor. now i get 1/3*pi*i

That's better. But the answer still depends on the closed contour. I'd feel better if you described what it was.

1. evaluate each integral around the counter-clockwise circle lzl =1 repeat for lzl=2.

(a) ∮ cos(z)/(3z-pi) dz, (b) ∮ z /((9-z^2)*(2z-i)) dz

thats all it says. i think that the pole may be not be significant

KNUCK7ES said:
1. evaluate each integral around the counter-clockwise circle lzl =1 repeat for lzl=2.

(a) ∮ cos(z)/(3z-pi) dz, (b) ∮ z /((9-z^2)*(2z-i)) dz

thats all it says. i think that the pole may be not be significant

I think it's very significant. The pole in (a) is at z=pi/3. That's outside of the counter-clockwise circle |z|=1. What's the answer in that case?

so that would mean that the integrand is analytic in the interior and on the contour, so it would equal 0?

KNUCK7ES said:
so that would mean that the integrand is analytic in the interior and on the contour, so it would equal 0?

Yes! Now continue with the other parts and pay attention to which poles are inside of the contour.

kk thanks alot

so being aware of the poles, in the case of (b) we have poles at z=-3,3,i/2. but the only one that matters is the i/2 because it is the only one inside the contour line. my only problem is now trying to get ∮ z/((9-z^2)(2z-i)) dz into the form f(w) ∮ 1/(z-w) dz

KNUCK7ES said:
so being aware of the poles, in the case of (b) we have poles at z=-3,3,i/2. but the only one that matters is the i/2 because it is the only one inside the contour line. my only problem is now trying to get ∮ z/((9-z^2)(2z-i)) dz into the form f(w) ∮ 1/(z-w) dz

Split the expression 1/((9-z^2)(2z-i)) up using partial fractions. Remember that trick? Or even simpler, just put f(z)=z/(9-z^2) and make the expression f(z)/(2z-i).

i did both, and the partial fractions is a little more ugly. but where i became stuck, is that i began to wonder if i had to do it twice the other one being where f(z) = z/(2z-i)

KNUCK7ES said:
i did both, and the partial fractions is a little more ugly. but where i became stuck, is that i began to wonder if i had to do it twice the other one being where f(z) = z/(2z-i)

I'm not sure where the stuckness comes in. f(z)=z/(9-z^2) is analytic inside of both |z|=1 and |z|=2, isn't it? Just do f(z)/(2z-i). Just apply your theorem to that.

Dick said:
I'm not sure where the stuckness comes in. f(z)=z/(9-z^2) is analytic inside of both |z|=1 and |z|=2, isn't it? Just do f(z)/(2z-i). Just apply your theorem to that.

i guess my confusion is whether we can set f(z) = z/(9-z^2) OR f(z)= z/(2z-i). but i'd much rather just do z/(2z-i). so i suppose my question is just inquisitive. but i could see it expanded out to something like ∮ 1/(z^2-z+2) dz for lzl=1. in this case it isn't so easy to find an f(x) to set up the nice form of 2*pi*i f(w) from f(w) ∮ 1/(z-w) dz

actually upon further thinking of my question, it would have to have bounds ∮ 1/(z^2-z+2) dz for lzl=1 would be 0 but if i were to extend the radius out to lzl =2 then it gets more interesting

KNUCK7ES said:
actually upon further thinking of my question, it would have to have bounds ∮ 1/(z^2-z+2) dz for lzl=1 would be 0 but if i were to extend the radius out to lzl =2 then it gets more interesting

How did you get from z/((9-z^2)*(2z-i)) to 1/(z^2-z+2)??

1. What is a complex contour integration problem?

A complex contour integration problem involves integrating a complex-valued function along a path in the complex plane, rather than just a real-valued function along a line in the real plane. This type of problem is often encountered in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. How is a complex contour integration problem solved?

A complex contour integration problem is typically solved using the Cauchy integral theorem and Cauchy integral formula. These mathematical tools involve representing the complex-valued function as a series of real and imaginary parts, and then evaluating the integral using techniques such as residue calculus.

3. What is the importance of complex contour integration in science?

Complex contour integration is important in science because it allows for the evaluation of complex-valued functions and integrals, which often arise in physical and mathematical models. This type of integration also has applications in fields such as signal processing, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

4. What are some challenges in solving complex contour integration problems?

One of the main challenges in solving complex contour integration problems is choosing the appropriate contour or path in the complex plane. This requires a deep understanding of the function being integrated and its singularities. Another challenge is accurately evaluating the integral, which can involve complex calculations and may require the use of advanced mathematical techniques.

5. Can complex contour integration be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, complex contour integration has many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to solve problems involving complex-valued functions, such as calculating electric fields in electromagnetics or fluid flow in fluid dynamics. It is also used in data analysis and signal processing to extract information from complex-valued signals.