Complex exponential to trigonometric simplification

In summary, by expanding (e^(ix) - 1)^2 and using trigonometric identities, it can be shown that it is equal to 2-2cosx. This is useful in digital systems homework, specifically in filter design.
Malgrif

Homework Statement

Given (e^(ix) - 1)^2 , show that it is equal to 2-2cosx

Homework Equations

e^ix = cosx + isinx

The Attempt at a Solution

After subbing in Euler identity and expanding I get:

cos(x)^2+sin(x)^2-2cosx-2jsinx+2jcosxsinx + 1

after using the addtion formulas I get

cos(2x)+jsin(2x)-2cosx-2jsinx+1

seems like I'm missing a fundamental trig ID... Please help, and let me know if my approach is correct.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Malgrif said:

Homework Statement

Given (e^(ix) - 1)^2 , show that it is equal to 2-2cosx

Homework Equations

e^ix = cosx + isinx

Please state the problem, word for word as it was given to you.

It's obvious that (eix-1)2 ≠ 2 - 2cos(x) .

Also, please stick with one symbol for the imaginary unit: either i or j . Don't switch back and forth.

Sorry EE student here.

Hm, maybe I'm missing the bigger picture then. This is part of my digital systems homework, regarding filter design. The question I posed is of my own formulation, as that is where I am stuck with the with problem. If the question is nonsensical i must be missing a cancellation. I attached a picture so you can hopefully help me figure it out.
ixC4zZN.png

Malgrif said:
Sorry EE student here.

Hm, maybe I'm missing the bigger picture then. This is part of my digital systems homework, regarding filter design. The question I posed is of my own formulation, as that is where I am stuck with the with problem. If the question is nonsensical i must be missing a cancellation. I attached a picture so you can hopefully help me figure it out.

That makes things clearer.

It does look like ##\displaystyle \ \left|\left(e^{\,j\,\theta}-1 \right)^2\right|=2-2\cos(\theta) \,, \ ## where j is the imaginary unit.

SammyS said:
That makes things clearer.

It does look like ##\displaystyle \ \left|\left(e^{\,j\,\theta}-1 \right)^2\right|=2-2\cos(\theta) \,, \ ## where j is the imaginary unit.

Ok. Could you go through the steps?

Malgrif said:
Ok. Could you go through the steps?

Let's help you go through the steps.

One thing that may help: (a + bj)(a - bj) = a2 + b2 = |a + bj|2 .

The other is the Euler identity, so that [itex]\displaystyle \ e^{\,x\,j}-1=(\cos(x)-1)+j\sin(x)\ .[/itex]

See what you can do with that.

Well, I got that far on my own. The final simplification is the issue.

so after expansion I get:

cos(x)^2-2cosx+1-sin(x)^2

I use Pythagorean identity to get:

2cos(x)^2 - 1 + 2cosx + 1

so 2cos(x)^2 + 2cosx

What's next? Or where's the error?

Starting with |(ejx - 1)2|, show us what you did.

I did...

So from the start:

|(e^jx - 1)^2| = | (cosx +jsinx -1)^2|

using |a+jb|^2=a^2+b^2

we get

(cosx - 1)^2 + (jsinx)^2

= cos^2(x)-2cosx +1 - sin^2(x)

using sin^2(x)=1-cos^2(x)

= 2cos^2(x) - 2cos(x)

Malgrif said:
I did...

So from the start:

|(e^jx - 1)^2| = | (cosx +jsinx -1)^2|

using |a+jb|^2=a^2+b^2

we get

(cosx - 1)^2 + (jsinx)^2

= cos^2(x)-2cosx +1 - sin^2(x)
The last term above has the wrong sign. In the formula you used, b is the coefficient of j, and doesn't include it. You should get (cosx - 1)2 + sin2x
Malgrif said:
using sin^2(x)=1-cos^2(x)

= 2cos^2(x) - 2cos(x)

Oh I found my mistake. I applied the identity incorrectly.

So it is just (cosx -1)^2 + (sin^2(x))

which will come to 2 - 2cos(x)

Thanks Sammy!

Mark44 said:
The last term above has the wrong sign. In the formula you used, b is the coefficient of j, and doesn't include it. You should get (cosx - 1)2 + sin2x

Yup just saw it myself! Thank yoU!

1. What is the formula for converting complex exponential to trigonometric form?

The formula for converting complex exponential to trigonometric form is eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where i is the imaginary unit and x is the angle in radians.

2. How do you simplify complex exponential expressions?

To simplify complex exponential expressions, you can use the properties of exponents and trigonometric identities. For example, you can use Euler's formula, eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), to convert the expression into trigonometric form and then use identities such as sin(x) and cos(x) to simplify further.

3. What is the significance of converting complex exponential to trigonometric form?

Converting complex exponential to trigonometric form allows for easier manipulation and calculation of complex numbers. Trigonometric functions are also more intuitive and easier to understand compared to exponential functions.

4. Can you give an example of converting a complex exponential to trigonometric form?

Yes, for example, e3i can be converted to cos(3) + i*sin(3) using Euler's formula.

5. How is complex exponential related to trigonometric functions?

Complex exponential and trigonometric functions are related through Euler's formula, eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x). This formula shows that complex exponential can be expressed as a combination of trigonometric functions. Additionally, trigonometric functions can be used to simplify complex exponential expressions.