Complex integration problem using residues .

In summary, the integral given can be evaluated using the calculus of residues by converting it to a complex integral and finding the residue at the singular point z=1+i. The integrand should be written in factored form and the resulting residue will give the value of the cosine integral.
KNUCK7ES

Homework Statement

I =[itex]\int \frac{cosx}{x^{2}-2x+2}dx[/itex] the integral runs from -inf to inf

evaluate the integral using the calculus of residues.

Homework Equations

shown in my attempt

The Attempt at a Solution

Re [itex]\oint\frac{e^{iz}}{z^{2}-2z+2}[/itex]

with singularities at z=1+i and z-i they are both simple poles since we can turn

[itex]z^{2}-2z+2[/itex]

to

[itex](z-2)z+2[/itex]

now all we need to do is find the residues

residue=(z-pole)f(z)

the problem is i get an answer with imaginary numbers.

my contour uses a semi circle above the real axis, so i only need to use the 1+i pole.

Physics news on Phys.org
KNUCK7ES said:

Homework Statement

I =[itex]\int \frac{cosx}{x^{2}-2x+2}dx[/itex] the integral runs from -inf to inf

evaluate the integral using the calculus of residues.

Homework Equations

shown in my attempt

The Attempt at a Solution

Re [itex]\oint\frac{e^{iz}}{z^{2}-2z+2}[/itex]

with singularities at z=1+i and z-i they are both simple poles since we can turn

[itex]z^{2}-2z+2[/itex]

to

[itex](z-2)z+2[/itex]

now all we need to do is find the residues

residue=(z-pole)f(z)

the problem is i get an answer with imaginary numbers.

my contour uses a semi circle above the real axis, so i only need to use the 1+i pole.

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\cos(z)}{z^2-2z+2}=\text{Re}\left\{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{iz}}{z^2-2z-2}\right\}[/tex]

so that when you compute the e^(iz) integral and obtain an answer in the form of a+bi, a is the value of the cosine integral. Also, need to write the integrand in factored form as

[tex]\frac{e^{iz}}{(z-(1+i))(z-(1+i))}[/tex]

then compute the residue.

1. What is a complex integration problem using residues?

A complex integration problem using residues is a type of integration problem that involves integrating functions of complex variables along a closed contour. It utilizes the concept of residues, which are the residues of a function at its isolated singularities, to solve the integral.

2. How do you find the residues of a function?

The residues of a function can be found by calculating the limit of the function at its singularities. This can be done by taking the Laurent series expansion of the function and identifying the coefficient of the term with a negative power of the variable at the singularity.

3. What is a singular point in complex analysis?

A singular point in complex analysis is a point where a function is not analytic, meaning it does not have a derivative at that point. Singular points can be classified as either isolated or non-isolated, and they play a significant role in solving complex integration problems using residues.

4. What is the Cauchy residue theorem?

The Cauchy residue theorem is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that states that if a function is analytic within a closed contour except for a finite number of isolated singularities, then the value of the integral of the function around the contour is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues of the function at its singularities.

5. What are some applications of complex integration using residues?

Complex integration using residues has many applications in mathematics and physics, such as calculating improper real integrals, solving differential equations, and evaluating real integrals that are difficult to solve using traditional methods. It is also used in signal processing, control theory, and electromagnetism.