Learning Complex Integration: Endpoints & Paths

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of antiderivative formulas in complex analysis and how they differ from the traditional path integral formula. The antiderivative expression only holds if the function is complex differentiable, which is a strict requirement. When using this formula, the value of the integral only depends on the endpoints, whereas the traditional formula takes into account the path as well. This can lead to different results for different paths, making it important to properly understand and use the antiderivative formula in complex analysis.
Silviu
Hello! I started learning about complex analysis and I am a bit confused about integration. I understand that if we take different paths for the same function, the value on the integral is different, depending on the path. But if we use the antiderivative: ##\int_{\gamma}f=F(\gamma(b))-F(\gamma(a))##, where ##\gamma## is the path and a and b are the endpoints. So based on this formula, the value of the integral doesn't depends on the path but just on the endpoints. I am not sure I understand the meaning of this and when can we use this formula, as it gives just a value for all the path, so what do the other paths means? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The antiderivative expression holds if ##F## is complex differentiable -- which is a severe constraint. See holomorphic functions

BvU said:
The antiderivative expression holds if ##F## is complex differentiable -- which is a severe constraint. See holomorphic functions
But if I take ##f(z)=z^2##, this has the antiderivative ##F=(z)=\frac{z^3}{3}##, which is entire. So if I take the path from ##0## to ##1+i##, using this formula I obtain ##\int_{\gamma}f=F(i+1)-F(0)=\frac{2i-2}{3}##. However, if I use the formula ##\int_{\gamma}f=\int_a^b f(\gamma(t))\gamma'(t)dt## and I parametrize ##\gamma## using a straight line or a parabola between the same 2 points (##0## and ##1+i##), I obtain 2 different results. So in the first case only the end points matter, in the second case, the path matters, too. So how am I suppose to use the antiderivative formula?

1. What is complex integration?

Complex integration is a mathematical method used to calculate the integral of a complex-valued function along a given path in the complex plane.

2. What are endpoints in complex integration?

Endpoints in complex integration refer to the beginning and end points of the path along which the integral is being calculated. These points are typically denoted as a and b, with a being the starting point and b being the ending point.

3. What is the significance of endpoints in complex integration?

The endpoints of a path in complex integration determine the limits of integration and are essential in calculating the integral. They also affect the value of the integral, as different paths with the same endpoints can yield different results.

4. What is the importance of choosing the right path in complex integration?

The path chosen in complex integration can greatly affect the value of the integral. It is important to choose a path that avoids singularities and ensures the function being integrated is well-behaved along the entire path.

5. How do endpoints and paths relate in complex integration?

The endpoints of a path determine the limits of integration, while the path itself determines the specific route along which the integral is calculated. The choice of endpoints and path can greatly impact the value of the integral in complex integration.