What are Some Complex Mathematical Questions to Explore for a Research Essay?

• MHB
  • Thread starter greenglasses
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of writing a 2500+ word research essay on a mathematical concept for school. The student is interested in exploring university-level concepts, such as game theory and abstract algebra, but their ideas were rejected by their math teacher for not focusing on a specific question. They are now seeking suggestions for famous or complex mathematical questions that they can write about. They mention their interest in calculus, but have not found a suitable question yet. The conversation also briefly touches on the topic of p-adic numbers, which is described as rich with interesting and surprising ideas. Some suggested starting points include fractions and p-adic numbers, rounding p-adic rationals, and golden integers.
greenglasses
This isn't a question, per se.

I have to write a 2500 word + research essay on a mathematical concept for school. It's expected that I look into university-level concepts; game theory and abstract algebra are among common subjects.

I proposed some ideas to my math teacher, but they were shot down because they were looking at a mathematical concept instead of a mathematical question.

So basically, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for famous (or not), complicated questions that I could possibly stretch out a solution and explanation for in around 2500 words.

I do enjoy Calculus, so I was looking into there but couldn't find anything complex enough, so I'm asking you guys. Of course, if you know any sort of early-university-level questions in a different subject that could work I'd love to hear about it too.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is complex math?

Complex math, also known as complex analysis, is a branch of mathematics that deals with complex numbers and functions. Complex numbers are numbers that can be written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, equal to the square root of -1.

2. What are some real-world applications of complex math?

Complex math has many real-world applications, including electrical engineering, signal processing, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in fields such as economics, statistics, and computer graphics.

3. What are the basic operations with complex numbers?

The basic operations with complex numbers are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Addition and subtraction are performed by adding or subtracting the real and imaginary parts separately. Multiplication is done by using the distributive property and remembering that i squared is equal to -1. Division is done by multiplying the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator, which is obtained by changing the sign of the imaginary part.

4. What is the difference between a real and complex solution to an equation?

A real solution to an equation is a value that makes the equation true when substituted for the variable. A complex solution, on the other hand, is a pair of numbers (a + bi) that make the equation true when substituted for the variable. Complex solutions often involve a combination of real and imaginary numbers.

5. How can complex math be used to solve real-world problems?

Complex math can be used to model and solve problems in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and economics. By using complex numbers and functions, real-world phenomena can be described and analyzed more accurately, leading to more efficient and effective solutions.