Finding Domain for Complex Numbers: |y-x|<=2, |x|<=2

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a domain with specific conditions for a complex number z=x+iy, where x and y are real numbers and |y-x|<=2 and |x|<=2. The participants discuss different approaches, such as using polar coordinates and graphing the region of interest, before realizing that the instructor had made a mistake in their calculation. Ultimately, the issue is resolved and the problem is solved using the original approach proposed by the OP.
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
i have to find this domain
Relevant Equations
complex numbers
i have to find such domain
z=x+iy , y,x∈ℝ , |y-x|<=2, |x|<=2

i'm confused with |y-x|<=2, how should i proceed ? with abs of x i am ok.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to write ##x,y## is polar coordinates? Or start with reals: What does ##|x|<2## mean for real numbers?

##e^{-x}*e^{iy} = e^{-x+iy}## this?

DottZakapa said:
##e^{-x}*e^{iy} = e^{-x+iy}## this?
No. You have to resolve the norm, so you must represent the complex numbers ##x,y## somehow. Do you know how we can write them, in order to calculate ##|x|##?

i know that |z| = ##\sqrt {x^2+y^2}##
but i don't know how to handle this |y-x|

Last edited:
DottZakapa said:
i know that |z| = ##\sqrt {x^2+y^2}##
but i don't know how to handle this |y-x|
O.k. Polar coordinates would have been ##z=r\cdot e^{i\varphi}## and ##|z|=r##.
Anyway. In order to write ##|z| = \sqrt {x^2+y^2}## you had to write ##z=x+iy## first. This was a bad choice, as ##x,y## will be needed as complex numbers, so the letters are already occupied. You should have written ##z=a+ib## and ##|z|=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}.##

Now we have two complex variables ##x,y##. We first write them as ##x=a+ib## and ##y=c+id##. Can you calculate ##x-y## and ##|x-y|##? And you still have to answer post #2: Which domain is ##|a|<2## if ##a## is real?

so if x = a+ib and y= c+id then
y-x would be (c-a)+i(d-b) then the |y-x|= ##\sqrt {(c-a)^2+(d-b)^2}##

then
##\sqrt {(c-a)^2+(d-b)^2}<=2##=> ##(c-a)^2+(d-b)^2<=4##

DottZakapa said:
so if x = a+ib and y= c+id then
y-x would be (c-a)+i(d-b) then the |y-x|= ##\sqrt {(c-a)^2+(d-b)^2}##

then
##\sqrt {(c-a)^2+(d-b)^2}<=2##=> ##(c-a)^2+(d-b)^2<=4##
Yes, but you must be careful with squaring inequalities. You cannot go back easily. That's why I asked for the meaning of ##|a|<2##.

a is comprised between -2 and 2. isn't it?

Yes, and the same is true if ##Z=a+ib## is complex. However, the complex norm is defined to be positive, so here we get for ##z=a+ib## from ##|z|=|a+ib|=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}## that ##0\leq \sqrt{a^2+b^2}<2## must hold. Try to draw the points ##\{(a,b)\in \mathbb{R}\}^2\,|\,0\leq\sqrt{a^2+b^2}<2## in a coordinate system with axis ##a## and ##b##. And then figure out where ##z## has to be, if the coordinates were ##a## and ##ib##.

fresh_42 said:
This was a bad choice, as ##x,y## will be needed as complex numbers, so the letters are already occupied. You should have written ##z=a+ib## and ##|z|=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}.#

I disagree. [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] are defined by the OP's question as being the real and imaginary parts of [itex]z \in \mathbb{C}[/itex], and conditions are then placed upon [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] in order to restrict [itex]z[/itex] to a particular subset of [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex]. That is the natural way to interpret
DottZakapa said:
i have to find such domain
z=x+iy , y,x∈ℝ , |y-x|<=2, |x|<=2

So the OP is looking for [itex](x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2[/itex] such that [itex]|y - x| \leq 2[/itex] (and [itex]|x| \leq 2[/itex], but they already know how to deal with that).

So start with something easier. Take [itex]C \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]|C| \leq 2[/itex] and consider [itex]y - x = C[/itex]. What does that look like?

Likes Delta2 and DottZakapa
pasmith said:
I disagree. [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] are defined by the OP's question as being the real and imaginary parts of [itex]z \in \mathbb{C}[/itex], and conditions are then placed upon [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] in order to restrict [itex]z[/itex] to a particular subset of [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex]. That is the natural way to interpretSo the OP is looking for [itex](x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2[/itex] such that [itex]|y - x| \leq 2[/itex] (and [itex]|x| \leq 2[/itex], but they already know how to deal with that).

So start with something easier. Take [itex]C \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]|C| \leq 2[/itex] and consider [itex]y - x = C[/itex]. What does that look like?

i did try in such way, but the results of the instructor did not coincide. Going forward in the video, he made a mistake and corrected it. So problem sorted. Is like you say. thanks to anyone :thumbup:

Likes WWGD
The region |y-x|<2 is clearly bounded by the lines y=x+2 and y=x-2, so sketch those. Superimpose the bounds for |x|<2.

Likes Delta2 and DottZakapa
thank you, as said above i have sorted the problem. the adopted procedure before posting the problem here was the same as @pasmith and you proposed. A dubdt raised for a discrepancy between my obtained result and the one of the instructor, which later on revealed to be a calculation mistake of the instructor.

1. What is the concept of finding the domain for complex numbers?

The concept of finding the domain for complex numbers involves determining all possible values that a complex number can take on without resulting in an undefined or imaginary result.

2. How do you solve inequalities involving complex numbers?

To solve inequalities involving complex numbers, you can use the same methods as solving inequalities with real numbers. The only difference is that you will need to consider both the real and imaginary parts separately.

3. What does the notation |y-x|<=2 mean?

The notation |y-x|<=2 represents the absolute value of the difference between y and x being less than or equal to 2. This means that the distance between y and x on the complex plane is no more than 2 units.

4. How do you graph inequalities involving complex numbers?

To graph inequalities involving complex numbers, you will need to plot the complex numbers on the complex plane and use shading to represent the solution set. The shaded region will be the area where the inequality is true.

5. What is the solution set for |y-x|<=2, |x|<=2?

The solution set for |y-x|<=2, |x|<=2 is the intersection of the solution sets for each individual inequality. In this case, the solution set is the region on the complex plane where the distance between y and x is no more than 2 units and the absolute value of x is no more than 2. This can be represented as a shaded area on the complex plane.