1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers equation/equality

1. Jan 27, 2014 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.

Prove that, given constants ##A_1,A_2, \phi_1## and ##\phi_2##, there are constants ##A## and ##\phi## such that the following equality is satisfied:

##A_1\cos(kx+\phi_1)+A_2\cos(kx+\phi_2)=A\cos(kx+\phi)##

The attempt at a solution.

I've tried to use the identity ##\cos(u+v)=\cos(u)\cos(v)-\sin(u)\sin(v)##, so

##A_1\cos(kx+\phi_1)+A_2\cos(kx+\phi_2)=A_1[\cos(kx)\cos(\phi_1)-\sin(kx)\sin(\phi_1)]+A_2[\cos(kx)\cos(\phi_2)-\sin(kx)\sin(\phi_2)]##, and then, the expresion on the right equals to

##[A_1\cos(\phi_1)+A_2\cos(\phi_2)]\cos(kx)-[A_1\sin(\phi_1)+A_2\sin(\phi_2)]\sin(kx)##.

I am trying to write this last expression as something of the form ##A\cos(kx+\phi)## but I don't know how to, I would appreciate any suggestion to arrive to the desired expression.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trigonometric_identities#Linear_combinations is the sort of identity you need expressed for real functions. Can you figure out how to derive a similar sort of thing for complex functions? You don't need to actually find the complex magnitude or the phase, you just have to show they exist. I'm actually not sure I can now, it's getting kind of late. So I'm counting on you.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  4. Jan 28, 2014 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, here's a little more. You already have it in the form of a linear combination of ##sin(kx)## and ##cos(kx)##. Using the definitions of complex sin and cos you could equally well write that as ##C_1 e^{ikz}+C_2 e^{-ikz}##. Now let's introduce a complex phase ##\phi##, by computing it such that ##C_1 e^{-i \phi}=C_2 e^{i \phi}##. Can you see how it goes from here?

5. Jan 28, 2014 #4
    As you've said, I could express ##[A_1\cos(\phi_1)+A_2\cos(\phi_2)]\cos(kx)-[A_1\sin(\phi_1)+A_2\sin(\phi_2)]\sin(kx)## as ##C1e^{ikx}+C_2e^{-ikx}##, if I call ##k_1=A_1\cos(\phi_1)+A_2\cos(\phi_2)## and ##k_2=A_1\sin(\phi_1)+A_2\sin(\phi_2)##, then ##C_1,C_2## must satisfy ##C_1=\dfrac{k_1-ik_2}{2}## and ##C_2=\dfrac{k_1+ik_2}{2}##.

I didn't get your last suggestion, suppose I find ##\phi## such that ##C_1 e^{-i \phi}=C_2 e^{i \phi}##, and how would this help me to write the original expression in the form ##A\cos(kx+\phi)##? Sorry if it is too obvious.

6. Jan 28, 2014 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you write ##A_1 \cos(kx + \phi_1) = A_1\cos\phi_1\cos kx - A_1\sin\phi_1\sin kx = P_1\cos kx + P_2\sin kx## say, and similarly for the other terms, you have to show that the result is true for any value of ##\cos kx## and ##\sin kx##. You can do that by equating the coefficients of ##\cos kx## and ##\sin kx##.

Or, if you use ##e^{ikx} = \cos kx + i\sin kx##, this is the same as equating both the real and imaginary parts of ##e^{ikx}##.

7. Jan 28, 2014 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, I'll tell you what the strategy is. Given I can write the expression as ##C_1e^{ikx}+C_2e^{-ikx}##. I would very much like to find a phase ##\phi## such that ##C_1e^{ikx}+C_2e^{-ikx}=De^{i(kx+\phi)}+De^{-i(kx+\phi)}##, what equation would I need to solve for ##\phi##? That actually probably would have been a better clue.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  8. Jan 28, 2014 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All of the coefficients here are complex. So it's not quite the same as equating real and imaginary parts. It's equating coefficients of the linearly independent functions ##e^{ikx}## and ##e^{-ikx}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted