1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers, find (3/(1-i)-(1-i)/2)^40?

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Please help me find (3/(1-i)-(1-i)/2)^40. I got a result (see below) but I'm not sure whether it is correct. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I got (1+2i)^40. After this I got some funny numbers like 7^10*16*(6232-474*i).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I get this (above) also.
    The way to go here is to convert 1 + 2i into polar form, using the Theorem of de Moivre. Then raising to the 40th power is easy.
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Moivre's_formula.

4. Oct 22, 2011 #3
    I know about de Moivre's formula. With it I get radius (r) to be sqrt(5) and angle 63.43 degrees. Again this is complicated to do by hand and I am wandering whether I got something wrong.

5. Oct 22, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is correct. But it might be that you or somebody else copied the problem wrong. (3/(1-i)-(1+i)/2)^40 would be easy.

ehild

6. Oct 22, 2011 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, it's not complicated to do by hand once you have the complex number in this form.

[r*e]n = rn*eniθ

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook