1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers linear algebra

1. Feb 8, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Complex numbers linear algebra

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let w, z be complex numbers. Solve the linear equation wx=z; in other words find all x (of the set of complex numbers) such that wx=z. (hint: You need to distinguish 3 cases)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If w and z are complex numbers equal to i then if x was i the the power 0 it would equal one and still satisfy the equation. A second case is if x = -i^2 as this also equals one. I can't think of a third case, but to be honest i really don't think i have understood this question.

Can anyone clarify what i have to do here please??/

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2008 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suspect there are really 4 cases to consider:
    [tex]z \neq 0, w \neq 0[/tex]
    [tex]z = w = 0[/tex]
    [tex]z =0, w \neq 0[/tex]
    [tex]z \neq 0, w=0[/tex]

4. Feb 8, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For this particular problem, there is really nothing special about complex numbers. The answer is essentially the same as if they were asking about real numbers.

5. Feb 10, 2008 #4

So i have to identify 3 values of x that make wx=z. I don't see how i do this though because all i know about w and z is that they are complex. Any hints please?

6. Feb 10, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must be tempted to write that the solution set to wx=z is just {z/w}, right? That's great if w and z are non-zero. Now just start thinking about how you have to qualify that statement if for example w is zero and z is nonzero. Or if both w and z are zero.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  7. Feb 10, 2008 #6
    if w and z are zero then x must be zero, the question states that x is in the set of complex numbers though so does x =0 count as a solution? If either w or z are zero, then that would also make x zero in that case too? I am confused, possibly because i am new to linear algebra and havent seen a question like this before. Am i missing something i need to know to answer the question? thanks

8. Feb 10, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If w AND z are zero, then 0*x=0 is true for ANY x, right? This isn't really a 'linear algebra' problem. As Halls pointed out the complex numbers in a problem like this are just like the ordinary real numbers. What about trying to solve 0*x=z for z not equal to zero?

9. Feb 10, 2008 #8
    Ok so a solution would be x is a set of the complex numbers (indicating it has any value) when w and z are zero. If z is [tex]\neq[/tex] 0, then i would think 0*x is inconsistent?

10. Feb 10, 2008 #9

What am i missing here anyone, please. Thanks

11. Feb 10, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's inconsistent. So there are no solutions. So w=z=0 has all complex numbers as a solution, w and z not equal to zero has a single solution and w=0, z not equal to zero has no solutions. Any other cases you need to worry about?

12. Feb 10, 2008 #11
    No, that's a great help Dick for clarifying that. The next part of the question is to solve the following system of linear equations:

(5i)x1 + 3x2 = 12+i (1)

x1 + (2i)x2 = 3-i (2)

I treated it just like simultaneous equations, by multiplying (2) by 5i and cancelling i^2 terms to make (3). Then Doing (1)-(3) to get

-7x2+14i-7=0 to find x2=2i-1. Then substituting to get x1=(3/i) -1

13. Feb 10, 2008 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the right idea. But what did you get for (3)? I get 13x2+14i-7=0. Check the work for simple mistakes.

14. Feb 10, 2008 #13
    Also for w and z not zero i put x is the set of complex numbers excluding zero as a solution. When writing either w or z = 0, but not both, can i write this:

when exclusively w[tex]\cup[/tex]z=0 then there are no solutions.

15. Feb 10, 2008 #14

Yes, you're right, thanks again. I then get x2= 7/13 - 14i/13 and x1 = 11/13 - 27i/13

16. Feb 10, 2008 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would you exclude x=0 from the solutions in the case w,z not zero? And the cases w=0 or z=0 with the other being nonzero are quite different. I think you should think this over with a clear head. Because I'm not sure what your "when exclusively" phrase even means.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  17. Feb 10, 2008 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only possibilities are everything is a solution, nothing is a solution and there is one unique solution. Figure how to split these possibilities up depending on whether w and z are or are not zero. If you are solving linear equations in two variables you can probably handle that.

18. Feb 10, 2008 #17
    I thought that if w and z were not zero then x couldn't be either?

For the case when w or z are zero but not both, (that is what i mean the exclusive union of the set of w and z) then there are no solutions. I think iwill just write it more simlply as my answer. Thanks again

19. Feb 10, 2008 #18

Yes i think ive got it now. Thanks

20. Feb 6, 2011 #19
    Re: [SOLVED] Complex numbers linear algebra

Hey, i got the same questions for my exercise, but when solving part b i got x1= -1-3i and x2=-1+2i. Not sure if that's right but i substituted it into each of the equations. But thanks for the help on part a! i'm new to linear algebra too

21. Feb 6, 2011 #20

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: [SOLVED] Complex numbers linear algebra

If you are talking about the problem in post 11, that's not the right solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?