Real integral using Residue Theorem

In summary: Residue Theorem.In summary, the homework statement is to find all the poles of the integrand using residue calculus.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Convert to suitable contour integral and use Cauchy's Residue Theorem to evaluate it

##\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{\sin \theta d\theta}{5-4\sin \theta}##

Homework Equations

Res ##f(z)_{z=z_0} = Res_{z=z_0} \frac{p(z)}{q(z)}=\frac{p(z_0)}{q'(z_0)}##

The Attempt at a Solution

## \displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{\sin \theta d\theta}{5-4\sin \theta}=\oint_C \frac{(1/2i)(z-1/z)dz/iz}{5-4(z-1/z)}=\oint_C \frac{(z-1/z)dz}{8z^2-10z-8}##

The denominator has simple poles at ##z_1=5/8+\sqrt{89}/8## and ##z_2=5/8-\sqrt{89}/8## with z_2 being inside the unit circle hence

Res ##f(z)_{z=z_0} = Res_{z=z_0} \frac{z-1/z}{8z^2-10z-8}=\frac{z-1/z}{16z-10}|_{z=5/8-\sqrt{89}/8}##...?

Physics news on Phys.org
You got to move that 1/z downstairs. So write it as
[tex] I = \frac{-1}{2} \oint \frac{(z^2 -1) dz}{5z^2-2/i (z^3-z)} [/tex]

bugatti79 said:
##\displaystyle \oint_C \frac{(z-1/z)dz}{8z^2-10z-8}##

clamtrox said:
You got to move that 1/z downstairs. So write it as
[tex] I = \frac{-1}{2} \oint \frac{(z^2 -1) dz}{5z^2-2/i (z^3-z)} [/tex]

Not sure what you are suggesting. I have checked mine with Mathematica and it seems right.
Perhaps I am not applying the Theorem correctly?

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=+((1/2i)(z-1/z)(1/iz))/(5-4(z-1/z))+=+(z-1/z)/(8z^2-10z-8)

Thanks

bugatti79 said:
Not sure what you are suggesting. I have checked mine with Mathematica and it seems right.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=+((1/2i)(z-1/z)(1/iz))/(5-4(z-1/z))+=+(z-1/z)/(8z^2-10z-8)

Thanks

The point of residue calculus is that you need to find all the poles of the integrand. An easy find to way the poles is to write your integrand in the form of polynomial divided by polynomial. Now you are missing the pole at z=0, because you don't have a polynomial in the numerator.

clamtrox said:
The point of residue calculus is that you need to find all the poles of the integrand. An easy find to way the poles is to write your integrand in the form of polynomial divided by polynomial. Now you are missing the pole at z=0, because you don't have a polynomial in the numerator.

But I thought we find all the poles in the denominator and in this case it will be 2 poles because of quadratic...?

You got that entirely wrong and you're not missing it. It's still there just in the numerator. The objective is to find all the singular point of the function however it is written, numerator, denominator, polynomial, trig, special function, whatever, wereever they are and then by the Residue Theorem, an integral of the function over a closed contour where the function is single-valued and analytic except for issolated singular points like poles is 2pi i times the sum of the residues. Now it does make it look nicer if you put that 1/z factor in the denominator but just don't put it there right? Is that insulting? I mean by valid algebraic means. It's then easier to compute the residue by standard techniques.

bugatti79 said:

Thanks

jackmell said:
You got that entirely wrong and you're not missing it. It's still there just in the numerator. The objective is to find all the singular point of the function however it is written, numerator, denominator, polynomial, trig, special function, whatever, wereever they are and then by the Residue Theorem, an integral of the function over a closed contour where the function is single-valued and analytic except for issolated singular points like poles is 2pi i times the sum of the residues. Now it does make it look nicer if you put that 1/z factor in the denominator but just don't put it there right? Is that insulting? I mean by valid algebraic means. It's then easier to compute the residue by standard techniques.

SO my original integrand in post #1 was correct as above link, the simple pole z=0 was in the numerator and the other two in the denominator

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=poles+(z-1/z)/(8z^2-10z-8)&t=igg01

Thanks

1. What is the Residue Theorem?

The Residue Theorem is a mathematical technique used to calculate definite integrals, particularly those involving complex numbers. It states that the value of a real integral around a closed curve is equal to the sum of the residues of the function within the curve.

2. How is the Residue Theorem used to evaluate real integrals?

The Residue Theorem is used by first identifying the singularities (i.e. poles) of the function within the closed curve. Then, the residues at these poles are calculated and summed up to obtain the value of the integral.

3. What are some common applications of the Residue Theorem?

The Residue Theorem is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving complex variables and functions. It is also used in the field of signal processing to evaluate integrals related to Fourier transforms.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Residue Theorem?

Yes, the Residue Theorem can only be applied to integrals with simple poles (i.e. poles of order 1) and closed curves that do not intersect any of these poles. Additionally, the function being integrated must be analytic (i.e. have a continuous derivative) within the closed curve.

5. Can the Residue Theorem be used to evaluate improper integrals?

Yes, the Residue Theorem can be used to evaluate improper integrals, as long as the function being integrated has a finite number of singularities within the closed curve and satisfies the other conditions mentioned in the previous question.