Simple Holomorphic Functions Question

• Thread starter gauss mouse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation is discussing a statement about a holomorphic function in an open set A. The statement involves a summation and an integral, and the person is questioning why plugging in z_0 would result in f(z_0)=0 for all z_0 \in A. However, it is pointed out that the summation starts from k=0, so f(z_0)=a_0, and it is clarified that f(z_0)=1.
gauss mouse
I have the following statement:
Let [itex]A\subseteq \mathbb{C}[/itex] be open and let [itex]f\colon A \to \mathbb{C}[/itex] be holomorphicic (in [itex]A[/itex]). Suppose that [itex]D(z_0,R)\subseteq A.[/itex] Then
[itex]f(z)=\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k(z-z_0)^k\ \forall z\in D(z_0,R),[/itex] where
[itex]a_k=\displaystyle\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{|\zeta-z_0|=r}\frac{f(\zeta)}{(\zeta-z_0)^{k+1}}d\zeta[/itex] and [itex]0<r<R[/itex].

My problem is that it now seems, plugging in [itex]z_0[/itex], that [itex]f(z_0)=0[/itex] and since this can be done for all [itex]z_0\in A[/itex], we have [itex]f(z_0)=0[/itex] for all [itex]z_0 \in A,[/itex] which is absurd. Can anybody tell me what's going on here?

Sorry I haven't formatted this in the usual coursework question way but I don't think it would suit it.

Physics news on Phys.org
gauss mouse said:
I have the following statement:
Let [itex]A\subseteq \mathbb{C}[/itex] be open and let [itex]f\colon A \to \mathbb{C}[/itex] be holomorphicic (in [itex]A[/itex]). Suppose that [itex]D(z_0,R)\subseteq A.[/itex] Then
[itex]f(z)=\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k(z-z_0)^k\ \forall z\in D(z_0,R),[/itex] where
[itex]a_k=\displaystyle\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{|\zeta-z_0|=r}\frac{f(\zeta)}{(\zeta-z_0)^{k+1}}d\zeta[/itex] and [itex]0<r<R[/itex].

My problem is that it now seems, plugging in [itex]z_0[/itex], that [itex]f(z_0)=0[/itex] and since this can be done for all [itex]z_0\in A[/itex], we have [itex]f(z_0)=0[/itex] for all [itex]z_0 \in A,[/itex] which is absurd. Can anybody tell me what's going on here?

Sorry I haven't formatted this in the usual coursework question way but I don't think it would suit it.

The summation starts from k=0. So [itex]f(z_0)=a_0 (z-z_0)^0=a_0[/itex].

[itex]0^0=1[/itex]. Of course. Thanks.

1. What is a simple holomorphic function?

A simple holomorphic function is a complex-valued function that is defined and analytic over a connected open subset of the complex plane. This means that the function is differentiable at every point within its domain and has a well-defined Taylor series expansion.

2. How are simple holomorphic functions different from regular functions?

Simple holomorphic functions are defined over the complex plane, whereas regular functions are typically defined over the real numbers. Additionally, simple holomorphic functions are required to be analytic, meaning they have a well-defined derivative at every point, while regular functions may not have this property.

3. What is the importance of simple holomorphic functions in mathematics?

Simple holomorphic functions play a crucial role in complex analysis, a branch of mathematics that deals with functions over the complex plane. They have many useful properties, such as being closed under addition, multiplication, and composition, which make them important for solving problems in analysis, geometry, and physics.

4. How do you determine if a function is simple holomorphic?

To determine if a function is simple holomorphic, you can check if it satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are necessary conditions for a function to be analytic. You can also check if the function has a well-defined derivative at every point within its domain, as this is a key characteristic of simple holomorphic functions.

5. Can simple holomorphic functions have singularities?

Yes, simple holomorphic functions can have singularities, which are points where the function is not defined or where it is not analytic. These singularities can be classified as either removable, poles, or essential depending on their behavior near the singularity. However, simple holomorphic functions must be analytic everywhere except for isolated singularities.