Complex numbers problem - lots of Algebra

In summary, the conversation is about verifying the identity \left(\sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (a + \sqrt {a^2+b^2})} + i \sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (-a + \sqrt {a^2+b^2})}\right)^2= a+ib and finding the values of a and b for which it holds true.
DrummingAtom

Homework Statement

Show that [tex]\sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (a + \sqrt {a^2+b^2})} + i \sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (-a + \sqrt {a^2+b^2})}= a+ib[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Distributed the i and then the 1/2's in each term which gave:
[tex] \sqrt{\frac{a} {2} + \frac{ \sqrt {a^2+b^2}}{2}}} -({-\frac{a} {2} + \frac {\sqrt {a^2+b^2}}{2}}) = a+ib [/tex].

Next I squared both sides to eliminate the roots, which gives:
[tex]\frac{a}{2}+\frac{\sqrt {a^2+b^2}}{2} - \frac {a^2}{4} - \frac {a^2+b^2}{4}+\frac {2a\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}{4}= a^2+2abi-b^2[/tex].

From that point it doesn't seem to work out. Was I going in the right direction?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
DrummingAtom said:

Homework Statement

Show that [tex]\sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (a + \sqrt {a^2+b^2})} + i \sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (-a + \sqrt {a^2+b^2})}= a+ib[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Distributed the i and then the 1/2's in each term which gave:
[tex] \sqrt{\frac{a} {2} + \frac{ \sqrt {a^2+b^2}}{2}}} -({-\frac{a} {2} + \frac {\sqrt {a^2+b^2}}{2}}) = a+ib [/tex].
You lost the i on the left side.

DrummingAtom said:
Next I squared both sides to eliminate the roots, which gives:
[tex]\frac{a}{2}+\frac{\sqrt {a^2+b^2}}{2} - \frac {a^2}{4} - \frac {a^2+b^2}{4}+\frac {2a\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}{4}= a^2+2abi-b^2[/tex].

From that point it doesn't seem to work out. Was I going in the right direction?

Thanks for your help.
As stated, you are supposed to show this is an identity, but it isn't. As a simple counterexample, let a = 3 and b = 4. Then

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (a + \sqrt {a^2+b^2})} + i \sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (-a + \sqrt {a^2+b^2})}= \sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (3 + \sqrt {3^2+4^2})} + i \sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (-3 + \sqrt {3^2+4^2})}[/tex]
[tex]=\sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (3 + 5)} + i \sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (-3 + 5)} = 2 + i \neq 3 + 4i[/tex]

So clearly the equation is not identically true for all values of a and b. Are you instead supposed to find values of a and b for which it is conditionally true? For two complex numbers to be equal, their real parts must be equal and their imaginary parts must be equal.

Mark44 said:
. Are you instead supposed to find values of a and b for which it is conditionally true?

I got this out of Penrose's Road to Reality book, and actually I think I misread it. It's equation 4.3 @ http://mclerc.cl/penrosebook/book/RP/09_4_Magical%20complex%20numbers.pdf (Page 4 , half way down).

So, is he saying that that long equation (4.3) is equal a+bi? Or just the bulk of that equation can be viewed in a general form of a+bi?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, what Penrose is saying is that the square of the long expression (it's not an equation) is a + ib. To verify that this is so, square the left side and it should simplify to a + ib.

This is known as the Lagrange's identity. Square the lhs and simplify and you should get the rhs.

EDIT:

I think you should have a square root above the whole expression on the rhs.

Dickfore said:
This is known as the Lagrange's identity. Square the lhs and simplify and you should get the rhs.

EDIT:

Not according to the reference. The actual statement is really
[tex]\left(\sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (a + \sqrt {a^2+b^2})} + i \sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (-a + \sqrt {a^2+b^2})}\right)^2= a+ib[/tex]

Dickfore said:

EDIT:

Mark44 said:
Not according to the reference. The actual statement is really
[tex]\left(\sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (a + \sqrt {a^2+b^2})} + i \sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (-a + \sqrt {a^2+b^2})}\right)^2= a+ib[/tex]

Which is equivalent to
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (a + \sqrt {a^2+b^2})} + i \sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (-a + \sqrt {a^2+b^2})}= \sqrt{a+ib}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
Which is equivalent to
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (a + \sqrt {a^2+b^2})} + i \sqrt{\frac{1} {2} (-a + \sqrt {a^2+b^2})}= \sqrt{a+ib}[/tex]

I guess he meant there are 2 square roots of a complex number.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What is the purpose of using complex numbers?

Complex numbers are used to solve problems that involve imaginary numbers, such as in electrical engineering, physics, and other scientific fields.

3. How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 5i) + (2 + 4i) = (3 + 2) + (5i + 4i) = 5 + 9i.

4. What is the formula for multiplying complex numbers?

The formula for multiplying complex numbers is (a + bi)(c + di) = (ac - bd) + (ad + bc)i. Remember to distribute the terms and combine like terms.

5. How do you divide complex numbers?

To divide complex numbers, multiply both the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. The complex conjugate of a + bi is a - bi. Simplify the resulting expression to get the quotient.