Complex Numbers using Argand Diagram

In summary, the equation z^3-1=0 has two roots that are represented in an Argand Diagram by the vertices of an equilateral triangle. The solutions lie on a circle of unit radius.
cyy91

Homework Statement

(z^3)-1 = 0. Solve the equation and show that the roots are represented in an Argand Diagram by the vertices of an equilateral triangle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i can only found 1 as the answer.By transferring the -1 to the other side to become 1 and cube root it.

The prob is, is there another answer to this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
cyy91 said:
(z^3)-1 = 0. Solve the equation and show that the roots are represented in an Argand Diagram by the vertices of an equilateral triangle.

Hi cyy91! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

The clue is in the word "diagram"!

Draw the Argand plane, and remember every number is of the form re

what circle or triangle are the answers on? :wink:

the answers indicate
z = 1
z = -[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] +/- [tex]\frac{square root 3}{2}[/tex] i

i understand dat when a triangle is equilateral, all its angle must be 60 degrees.
with that in mind i can use cos 60 to find x and sin 60 for y...
d oni thg i dun understand nw is da positive n negative signs...
my answer is in positive for both instead of wad da answer indicate...

You clearly are expect to know DeMoivre's theorem: that if [itex]z= x+ iy= rcos(\theta)+ rsin(\theta)i= r(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))[/itex], then [itex]z^n= r^n(cos(n\theta)+ i sin(n\theta))[/itex]. That works with fractional n also. If n= 1/m, then [itex]z^n= z^{1/m}= r^{1/m}(cos((\theta+2k\pi)/m)+ i sin((\theta+ 2k\pi)m)[/itex].

I have no idea what you are trying to say in your last post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that last post was an eye-sore. Save the msn talk for txt msgs :tongue:

More simply, try factorising.
Using the difference of two cubes:

[tex]a^3-b^3=(a-b)(a^2+ab+b^2)[/tex]

So, [tex]z^3-1=(z-1)(z^2+z+1)=0[/tex]

Now you have two factors. A linear factor that gives z=1, and a quadratic that has unreal solutions. Solving this quadratic for z will give you the two imaginary roots of [itex]z^3=1[/itex] and if you know how to plot complex numbers on an argand diagram, then it should be easy from there.

p.s. all 3 solutions will lie on a circle of unit radius on the argand diagram.

EDIT: didn't read the whole question.

ok so to show the points lie on an equilateral triangle, are you aware that if you multiply a vector on the argand diagram by [itex]cis\theta[/itex], it will rotate the vector [itex]\theta[/itex] in the anti-clockwise direction?

If you don't understand what I just said, then just show that the distance between all the solutions are equal, thus creating an equilateral triangle.

Last edited:
thx a lot metallic...
nw i understand...
cuz my teacher nw oni say dat dis question has haven been taught...
it requires long division which u jz xplained...thx

No problem :smile:

Uh just curious, but the time you possibly save cutting down half of the true spelling of each word couldn't be worth the time the reader wastes trying to follow what you intended to say.
But I'm taking into consideration that you're probably msn addicted and unable to touch-type yet. Just wait for it - one day it will strike you that spelling a word correctly and structuring it in a valid sentence is much more rewarding for both typer and reader. One day :biggrin:

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What is an Argand diagram?

An Argand diagram is a graphical representation of complex numbers. It consists of a horizontal axis for the real part and a vertical axis for the imaginary part. The complex number a + bi is represented as a point on the diagram with coordinates (a, b).

3. How do you add or subtract complex numbers using an Argand diagram?

To add or subtract complex numbers on an Argand diagram, you simply add or subtract the real and imaginary parts separately. This can be done by adding or subtracting the coordinates of the points representing the complex numbers.

4. How do you multiply complex numbers using an Argand diagram?

To multiply complex numbers on an Argand diagram, you can use the geometric interpretation of multiplication. The product of two complex numbers a + bi and c + di is a new complex number with a real part of (ac - bd) and an imaginary part of (ad + bc).

5. Can complex numbers be divided on an Argand diagram?

Yes, complex numbers can be divided on an Argand diagram. The quotient of two complex numbers a + bi and c + di is a new complex number with a real part of [(ac + bd)/(c^2 + d^2)] and an imaginary part of [(bc - ad)/(c^2 + d^2)].