1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Potential Flow - Two Vortices offset from the Origin

1. Feb 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a. Determine the complex potential for two equal counter-rotating vortices with strength [itex]\Gamma[/itex], the positive one located at z=-a and the negative one at z=a.

b/ Show the shape of the streamlines for this case.

2. Relevant equations

z = x + iy = r*e^(i[itex]\theta[/itex])

W(z) = [itex]\Phi[/itex] + i[itex]\Psi[/itex]
    where [itex]\Phi[/itex] is the potential function and [itex]\Psi[/itex] is the stream function

3. The attempt at a solution

a. This part is relatively easy. I know that the complex potential for a vortex at the origin is

i[itex]\Gamma[/itex]/(2*[itex]\pi[/itex]) * ln(z)

Therefore, for the two vortices, we will have:

W(z) = i[itex]\Gamma[/itex]/(2*[itex]\pi[/itex]) * ln((z+a)/(z-a))

b. This is where I start to have trouble. I need to separate W(z) into the real and imaginary parts, and then I know that the imaginary part is the stream function. However, I don't know how to do this. It is easy for a vortex at the origin, because then I would have

ln(z) = ln(r*e^(i[itex]\theta[/itex])) = ln(r) + i[itex]\theta[/itex]

However, the addition and subtraction of 'a' inside of the log is giving me a lot of trouble. I've tried to separate it every way that I can think of but haven't had any success. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

To separate real and imaginary parts, it is easier to write the log as ln(z+a)-ln(z-a). In both cases, this is just a shift by +-a.

4. Feb 9, 2013 #3
    I tried that, but still did not make any progress.

ln(z+a) - ln(z-a)
    ln(r*e^iθ + a) - ln(r*e^iθ - a)

Now what? I can't split it up into ln(r)+iθ anymore.

5. Feb 9, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

What about ##r^+##,##\theta^+## corresponding to the magnitude and phase of z+a?

6. Feb 9, 2013 #5
    I'm sorry I don't quite follow you, could you explain in more detail? I'm unfamiliar with that notation. Thanks.

7. Feb 9, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

That is a notation I invented for your specific problem.

z+a can be written as ##z+a=r^+ e^{i \theta^+}## with some real values ##\theta^+## and ##r^+## - there are formulas how to convert an arbitrary complex number to that shape.
    In the same way, z-a can be written as ##z-a=r^- e^{i \theta^-}## with some real values ##\theta^-## and ##r^-##.

8. Feb 9, 2013 #7
    Would I do something along these lines?

ln(z+a)
    ln(r*e^iθ + a)
    ln(r*cos(θ)+i*r*sin(θ) + a)
    ln((r*cos(θ)+a) + i*r*sin(θ))

And then try to find a new r and θ in order to put this back into the form of r*e^iθ ? That doesn't seem to me like it will be possible, and I can't find the formulas that you mentioned. Are they available online somewhere?

9. Feb 9, 2013 #8

mfb

2016 Award

That is possible.
    The standard formulas how you get r and θ if you have a complex number a+ib? They are everywhere.

10. Feb 9, 2013 #9
    I think I figured it out, thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook