Complex Pulley System (five different pulleys)

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We are asked to find the force (F) needed to maintain equilibrium. I've drawn a picture; the red, blue, and green ropes are three separate ropes. Block W has a weight of 500 lbs, pulley A has a weight of 10 lbs, and pulley B has a weight of 20 lbs.

the picture: [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    Can't think of any, it seems like this problem just uses some common sense I am clearly lacking.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I figured out what the answer would be if you ignore the weights of the two pulleys. The tension would be 1/2 W on either side of pulley B, and therefore the tension pulling down on pulley A would be 1/2 W. Therefore, the tension on either side of pulley A would be 1/4 W, and since that rope is the rope to which the force F is applied, F=1/4 W=125 lbs. But I just don't know how to take into account the weights of the pulleys. Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. rl.bhat

rl.bhat 4,435
    Homework Helper

Chegg
    There are three segments in the red rope. Total hanging weight is W+B. Find the tension in each segment. Apply the same thing to green rope.

4. So tension in the red rope would equal 1/3(W+B), and then tension in the green rope would equal 1/3(A+1/3(W+B)) ?

5. rl.bhat

rl.bhat 4,435
    Homework Helper

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?