1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complicated implicit multivariable differentiation problem

1. Nov 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that the surface [itex]x^{6}y^{5}+y^{4}z^{5}+z^{9}x^{7}+4xyz=7[/itex] has the equation z = f(x, y) in a neighborhood of the point (1, 1, 1) with f(x,y) differentiable, find:

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial^{2} f}{\partial x^{2}}(1,1) = ? [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

To make things easier, i have already found an expression for the partial derivative of z with respect to x:

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \displaystyle\frac{-6x^{5}y^{5}-7z^{9}x^{6}-4yz}{5y^{4}z^{4}+9z^{8}x^{7}+4xy} [/itex]

And at (1, 1), it's value is -17/18. I have tried to differentiate the expression with respect to x going from this general expression and doing so implicitly and then collecting the terms, however, i get two different results which are both wrong: 1129/729 and -160416. Is there an easier way to approach this problem or it is just tedious differentiation and being extremely careful with the terms?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2013 #2

danago

Gold Member

Should that first term on the denominator be 5y4z4 instead?

4. Nov 18, 2013 #3
    Yes i'm sorry. I've fixed it but it won't affect the result anyways (as we have a y = 1 and we are differentiating with respect to x)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted