Complicated integration of complex number

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the Cauchy integral formula for evaluating integrals with isolated singularities inside a contour. It was mentioned that the residue theorem is a generalisation of the Cauchy integral formula, and can always be used. The conversation also touched on the need to pick a function g(z) that is analytic in the interior of the unit circle when using the Cauchy integral formula.
MissP.25_5
Hello.
I am not confident about this question. I think I have to use cauchy integral formula. But before that, I should decompose the fraction, right? Or is there a simpler way to do it? A friend told me that each contour only had one pole interior to it so he just used the Cauchy integral formula for the appropriate derivatives--as opposed to using a residue calculus. Is this a correct method?

Attachments

• b-2.jpg
    b-2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can first sketch the contour and identify the nature and location of the isolated singularities of f(z). Then the evaluation of the integral is immediate by using the residue theorem.

Yes, you can use the Cauchy integral formula too.

CAF123 said:
You can first sketch the contour and identify the nature and location of the isolated singularities of f(z). Then the evaluation of the integral is immediate by using the residue theorem.

Yes, you can use the Cauchy integral formula too.

As for the first one, z=2i is outside of the circle, since the circle is a unit circle. That means f(z) is analytic inside the circle, right? Hence we can use Cauchy integral formula.
But for the second one, z=2i is inside the circle, we can't use Cauchy integral formula, can we?

MissP.25_5 said:
As for the first one, z=2i is outside of the circle, since the circle is a unit circle. That means f(z) is analytic inside the circle, right?
No, because there is also a pole at the origin, which lies inside the unit circle.

But for the second one, z=2i is inside the circle, we can't use Cauchy integral formula, can we?
There is Cauchy's integral formula but also Cauchy's integral theorem. CIT is just a [STRIKE]generalisation[/STRIKE] special case of the residue theorem.

Last edited:
CAF123 said:
No, because there is also a pole at the origin, which lies inside the unit circle.

There is Cauchy's integral formula but also Cauchy's integral theorem. CIT is just a generalisation of the residue theorem.

So does that mean CIF can be used even there's a pole inside a circle? And I am not sure if I did this right, can you check? I did it a little so you can check if it's correct so far.

Attachments

• IMG_6434.jpg
    IMG_6434.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
MissP.25_5 said:
So does that mean CIF can be used even there's a pole inside a circle? And I am not sure if I did this right, can you check? I did it a little so you can check if it's correct so far.
Suppose your integral is ##\oint_C f(z) dz ##. You need to pick a function g(z) that is analytic in the interior of the unit circle. Then, loosely speaking, the part of f(z) that is not analytic in the unit circle picks up a residue when you integrate over the boundary. To illustrate: you have $$\oint \frac{e^{z^2}}{z^3 (z-2i)^2} dz = \oint \frac{g(z)}{z^3}dz$$ g(z) is analytic in the interior of the unit circle. 1/z3 is not, so you pick up a residue, which is what appears on the other side of CIF. If f(z) happened to be completely analytic in the interior, then there is no residue, so the other side of CIF collapses to zero, I.e recovering CIT.

The residue theorem is a complete generalisation of both CIT and CIF so you can always use that.

CAF123 said:
Suppose your integral is ##\oint_C f(z) dz ##. You need to pick a function g(z) that is analytic in the interior of the unit circle. Then, loosely speaking, the part of f(z) that is not analytic in the unit circle picks up a residue when you integrate over the boundary. To illustrate: you have $$\oint \frac{e^{z^2}}{z^3 (z-2i)^2} dz = \oint \frac{g(z)}{z^3}dz$$ g(z) is analytic in the interior of the unit circle. 1/z3 is not, so you pick up a residue, which is what appears on the other side of CIF. If f(z) happened to be completely analytic in the interior, then there is no residue, so the other side of CIF collapses to zero, I.e recovering CIT.

The residue theorem is a complete generalisation of both CIT and CIF so you can always use that.

Ok, so this is what I got so far and now how do I continue? I don't know how to apply CIF after decomposing the fraction.

Attachments

• IMG_6435.jpg
    IMG_6435.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 420
You did not have to split the fraction up. But to proceed, write your last step as a sum of three integrals. In each one, identify g(z) that is analytic in the interior of the unit circle and apply CIF. (g(z) is the f(z) that appears in CIF, but you already used the notation f(z) to mean the function you are integrating over the boundary.)

CAF123 said:
You did not have to split the fraction up. But to proceed, write your last step as a sum of three integrals. In each one, identify g(z) that is analytic in the interior of the unit circle and apply CIF. (g(z) is the f(z) that appears in CIF, but you already used the notation f(z) to mean the function you are integrating over the boundary.)

I didn't have to decompose the fraction? Then what is the easiest way? Please tell me.

CAF123 said:

I'm trying to use what you said here, but I don't really understand how to do this. In this case, g(z) should be
e^(z²)/(z - 2i)², right? g(z) is actually f(z), isn't it?

MissP.25_5 said:
In this case, g(z) should be
e^(z²)/(z - 2i)², right?
Right.
g(z) is actually f(z), isn't it?
If you write CIF as $$f^n(z_o) = \frac{n!}{2\pi i} \oint \frac{f(z)}{(z-z_o)^{n+1}}dz$$ then yes, this choice of g(z) coincides with that f(z) in CIF.

CAF123 said:
Right.
If you write CIF as $$f^n(z_o) = \frac{n!}{2\pi i} \oint \frac{f(z)}{(z-z_o)^{n+1}}dz$$ then yes, this choice of g(z) coincides with that f(z) in CIF.

n here is 2, right? Because the non-analytic part is 1/z^3

MissP.25_5 said:
n here is 2, right? Because the non-analytic part is 1/z^3
Correct and ##z_o = 0##.

CAF123 said:
Correct and ##z_o = 0##.

I am beginning to understand it now. So, I have to differentiate f(z) twice and multiply it with ∏i?
The derivative part is kind of tedious.

MissP.25_5 said:
I am beginning to understand it now. So, I have to differentiate f(z) twice and multiply it with ∏i?
The derivative part is kind of tedious.

If you mean the f(z) that appears in CIF then yes. The derivatives are tedious as you say, especially for higher order poles.

The same result can be obtained using the residue theorem: $$\oint_C f(z) dz = 2 \pi i \sum_{z_k \in \text{Int} C} \text{Res}(f, z_k)$$

In this case, ##z = 0## is a pole of order 3 and is the only singularity located in the interior of the unit circle.
So the RHS of the residue theorem is $$2 \pi i \frac{1}{2!} \lim_{z \rightarrow 0} \frac{d}{dz} z^3 f(z)$$ Put in f(z), simplify and take derivative. (here f(z) is ##e^{z^2}/z^3 (z-2i)^2##)

Last edited:
CAF123 said:
If you mean the f(z) that appears in CIF then yes. The derivatives are tedious as you say, especially for higher order poles.

The same result can be obtained using the residue theorem: $$\oint_C f(z) dz = 2 \pi i \sum_{z_k \in C} \text{Res}(f, z_k)$$

In this case, ##z = 0## is a pole of order 3 and is the only singularity located in the interior of the unit circle.
So the RHS of the residue theorem is $$2 \pi i \frac{1}{2!} \lim_{z \rightarrow 0} \frac{d}{dz} z^3 f(z)$$ Put in f(z), simplify and take derivative. (here f(z) is ##e^{z^2}/z^3 (z-2i)^2##)

I don't understand this residue part. If I use the above formula, then there is no need to use CIF??

MissP.25_5 said:
I don't understand this residue part. If I use the above formula, then there is no need to use CIF??

Exactly, CIF is 'contained' within the Residue theorem and CIT is a special case. So really if you know the residue theorem you are good to go with all these types of problems.

Depending on the order of the pole, the form for the residue will change. They are derived using the Laurent series of the function. See your textbook for derivation and general formula.

CAF123 said:
Exactly, CIF is 'contained' within the Residue theorem and CIT is a special case. So really if you know the residue theorem you are good to go with all these types of problems.

Depending on the order of the pole, the form for the residue will change. They are derived using the Laurent series of the function. See your textbook for derivation and general formula.

I have been differentiating this but I don't think this is right. Can you tell me where i am wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_6437.jpg
    IMG_6437.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 396
MissP.25_5 said:
I have been differentiating this but I don't think this is right. Can you tell me where i am wrong?
The first derivative looks right, but I think you skipped a few steps in the second derivative so it is difficult for me to see where you went wrong. In any case, provided you understand the method that is more or less the answer you are looking for :smile:

What is the numerical answer provided anyway?

CAF123 said:
The first derivative looks right, but I think you skipped a few steps in the second derivative so it is difficult for me to see where you went wrong. In any case, provided you understand the method that is more or less the answer you are looking for :smile:

-∏i/8

CAF123 said:

By the way, could you show me how to use the residue theorem to solve this?

MissP.25_5 said:
-∏i/8

I confirmed this result. I suggest redoing or checking your work again from the point where you start to take the second derivative. Most likely small errors. Also 2zez2 should be regarded as two functions of z.

MissP.25_5 said:
By the way, could you show me how to use the residue theorem to solve this?
As you can see from post #15, the expression you deal with is exactly the same as that you are dealing with right now.

CAF123 said:
I confirmed this result. I suggest redoing or checking your work again from the point where you start to take the second derivative. Most likely small errors. Also 2zez2 should be regarded as two functions of z.As you can see from post #15, the expression you deal with is exactly the same as that you are dealing with right now.

That's for no. 1, right?

CAF123 said:

The same result can be obtained using the residue theorem: $$\oint_C f(z) dz = 2 \pi i \sum_{z_k \in \text{Int} C} \text{Res}(f, z_k)$$

Take derivative of what?

MissP.25_5 said:
That's for no. 1, right?
no. 2 is done in exactly the same way, except now z=0 is not in the interior of the contour, but z = 2i is. And this is a pole of order 2, so in the end you compute one less derivative.

MissP.25_5 said:
Take derivative of what?
(..Typo in previous post, should have two derivatives..)

The RHS of the residue theorem is $$2\pi i \frac{1}{2!} \lim_{z \rightarrow 0} \frac{d^2}{dz^2} z^3 f(z) = \pi i \lim_{z \rightarrow 0} \frac{d^2}{dz^2} z^3 \frac{e^{z^2}}{z^3 (z-2i)^2} = \pi i \lim_{z \rightarrow 0} \frac{d^2}{dz^2} \frac{e^{z^2}}{(z-2i)^2}$$

Both numerator and denominator are continuous functions of z at z=0, (as is expected at this stage) so simply plug in z=0 after computing two derivatives. Exactly what you just did with CIF.

CAF123 said:
no. 2 is done in exactly the same way, except now z=0 is not in the interior of the contour, but z = 2i is. And this is a pole of order 2, so in the end you compute one less derivative.

Is this ok?

Attachments

• IMG_6440.jpg
    IMG_6440.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 344
MissP.25_5 said:
Is this ok?
See above, there was a typo, sorry!

CAF123 said:
(..Typo in previous post, should have two derivatives..)

The RHS of the residue theorem is $$2\pi i \frac{1}{2!} \lim_{z \rightarrow 0} \frac{d^2}{dz^2} z^3 f(z) = \pi i \lim_{z \rightarrow 0} \frac{d^2}{dz^2} z^3 \frac{e^{z^2}}{z^3 (z-2i)^2} = \pi i \lim_{z \rightarrow 0} \frac{d^2}{dz^2} \frac{e^{z^2}}{(z-2i)^2}$$

Both numerator and denominator are continuous functions of z at z=0, (as is expected at this stage) so simply plug in z=0 after computing two derivatives. Exactly what you just did with CIF.

You mean I have to differentiate that twice just like I did with CIF? Then it will be tedious also?

MissP.25_5 said:
You mean I have to differentiate that twice just like I did with CIF? Then it will be tedious also?
Yes, but you already done the computation using CIF so need to bother doing it again.

CAF123 said:
Yes, but you already done the computation using CIF so need to bother doing it again.

The it means the this wasy is no simpler than CIF? Because I still haven't finished the derivation.

MissP.25_5 said:
The it means the this wasy is no simpler than CIF? Because I still haven't finished the derivation.
Well, it is a matter of taste but in some sense I find the residue theorem easier to actually get to that equation involving the derivative. You did not have to, for example, study f(z) to find a part that is analytic on the interior of the contour. Even though that is still quite a quick step...

Laurent expansions of functions also give you the residue - it is defined as the coefficient of the 1/z term (the first term in the expansion that 'knows' about the singularity). But again, you end up with the final equation and in fact this is how the general formula for the residue of a nth order pole was derived. If you have a textbook or notes, check it out.

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that consists of a real part and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit (i = √-1).

2. What is the purpose of integrating complex numbers?

The purpose of integrating complex numbers is to solve problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to analyze and understand complex systems and phenomena.

3. How do you perform integration of complex numbers?

To integrate complex numbers, you can use the same techniques as for real numbers, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. However, you must be careful to treat the real and imaginary parts separately.

4. What are some applications of complicated integration of complex numbers?

Complicated integration of complex numbers has many applications, including in signal processing, control theory, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in the study of differential equations and in the evaluation of complex-valued functions.

5. Are there any challenges in integrating complex numbers?

Yes, there can be challenges in integrating complex numbers. One of the main challenges is keeping track of the real and imaginary parts separately and making sure they are treated correctly in the integration process. Additionally, some complex functions may not have closed-form solutions, making it difficult to integrate them analytically.