Complicated integration of complex number

In summary: If $\displaystyle f(z)= \frac{e^{z^{2}}}{(z-2\ i)^{2}}$ with a little of patience You find that is...$\displaystyle \frac{d^{2}}{d z^{2}} f(z) = 2\ e^{z^{2}}\ \frac{- 8\ z^{2} - 4 - 8
aruwin
Hello.
I am not confident about this question. I think I have to use cauchy integral formula. But before that, I should decompose the fraction, right? Or is there a simpler way to do it? A friend told me that each contour only had one pole interior to it so he just used the Cauchy integral formula for the appropriate derivatives--as opposed to using a residue calculus. Is this a correct method?

Attachments

• b-2.jpg
    b-2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 60
Physics news on Phys.org
aruwin said:
Hello.
I am not confident about this question. I think I have to use cauchy integral formula. But before that, I should decompose the fraction, right? Or is there a simpler way to do it? A friend told me that each contour only had one pole interior to it so he just used the Cauchy integral formula for the appropriate derivatives--as opposed to using a residue calculus. Is this a correct method?

Very well!... I suppose that also in this case the residue theorem is 'forbidden', so that You have to use the general Cauchy integral formula...

$\displaystyle f^{(n)} (a) = \frac{n!}{2\ \pi\ i}\ \int_{\gamma} \frac{f(z)}{(z-a)^{n+1}}\ dz\ (1)$

If You choose $\displaystyle f(z)= \frac{e^{z^{2}}}{(z-2\ i)^{2}}$ with a little of patience You find that is...

$\displaystyle \frac{d^{2}}{d z^{2}} f(z) = 2\ e^{z^{2}}\ \frac{- 8\ z^{2} - 4 - 8\ i\ z^{3} - 4\ i\ z + 32 z^{4} - 3\ z + 3}{(z-2\ i)^{4}} = \frac{1}{8}\text {for}\ z=0\ (2)$

... so that is...

$\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} \frac{e^{z^{2}}}{z^{3}\ (z - 2\ i)^{2}}\ dz = \frac{\pi\ i}{8}\ (3)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Very well!... I suppose that also in this case the residue theorem is 'forbidden', so that You have to use the general Cauchy integral formula...

$\displaystyle f^{(n)} (a) = \frac{n!}{2\ \pi\ i}\ \int_{\gamma} \frac{f(z)}{(z-a)^{n+1}}\ dz\ (1)$

If You choose $\displaystyle f(z)= \frac{e^{z^{2}}}{(z-2\ i)^{2}}$ with a little of patience You find that is...

$\displaystyle \frac{d^{2}}{d z^{2}} f(z) = 2\ e^{z^{2}}\ \frac{- 8\ z^{2} - 4 - 8\ i\ z^{3} - 4\ i\ z + 32 z^{4} - 3\ z + 3}{(z-2\ i)^{4}} = \frac{1}{8}\text {for}\ z=0\ (2)$

... so that is...

$\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} \frac{e^{z^{2}}}{z^{3}\ (z - 2\ i)^{2}}\ dz = \frac{\pi\ i}{8}\ (3)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Your f(z) is different from mine. Is mine wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_6434.jpg
    IMG_6434.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 53
In the first one, since the pole at z = 0 (I'm assuming that the unit circle is centred at the origin) is of order 3, you evaluate its residue using $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \textrm{Res}\,\left( f, c \right) = \frac{1}{2!} \lim_{z\to c} \frac{\mathrm{d}^2}{\mathrm{d}z^2} \left[ (z - c)^3\,f(z) \right] \end{align*}$.

Then the integral is calculated as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \oint_C{ f(z)\,\mathrm{d}z } = 2\pi i \, \textrm{Res}\, \left( f, c \right) \end{align*}$.

aruwin said:
Your f(z) is different from mine. Is mine wrong?

What I undestood is that Your question (1) is to compute...

$\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} \frac{e^{z^{2}}}{z^{3}\ (z-2\ i)^{2}}\ (1)$

... where $\gamma$ is the unit circle... isn't it?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
What I undestood is that Your question (1) is to compute...

$\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} \frac{e^{z^{2}}}{z^{3}\ (z-2\ i)^{2}}\ (1)$

... where $\gamma$ is the unit circle... isn't it?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Yes, but then why f(z) = exp(z^2)/(z-2i)^2 ? I don't understand.

You are making life difficult on yourself. The Residue Theorem is designed to make calculating these complex contour integrals easier. Use it!

Prove It said:
You are making life difficult on yourself. The Residue Theorem is designed to make calculating these complex contour integrals easier. Use it!

No, I haven't learned that in class yet. So I have to use CIF.

aruwin said:
Yes, but then why f(z) = exp(z^2)/(z-2i)^2 ? I don't understand.

I apologize because I've been in a hurry!... if You observe with care the general Cauchy formula I'm sure that it will be for You fully clear!...

$\displaystyle f^{n} (a) = \frac{n!}{2\ \pi\ i}\ \int_{\gamma} \frac{f(z)}{(z-a)^{n+1}}\ dz\ (1)$

Now suppose $\displaystyle f(z)= \frac{e^{z^{2}}}{(z-2\ i)^{2}}$ and a=0...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Prove It said:

Can you tell me how to use the residue theorem here?

It is not difficult to realize that the use of Cauchy integral formula and the Residue theorem, if correctly applied, lead to the same results, so that they are absolutely equivalent...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

aruwin said:
Can you tell me how to use the residue theorem here?

Read my previous posts in this thread...

Related to Complicated integration of complex number

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is usually written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (with i representing the imaginary unit, √-1).

2. How do you integrate a complex number?

To integrate a complex number, you will need to use the rules of complex integration, which involve using the Cauchy-Riemann equations and the Cauchy integral theorem. It is important to note that complex integration is different from real integration and requires additional techniques and understanding.

3. What are the challenges of integrating complex numbers?

The main challenge of integrating complex numbers is dealing with the imaginary part of the number. This requires a good understanding of complex numbers, and the use of specialized techniques and theorems. Another challenge is the complexity of the calculations involved, which can become more difficult as the number of variables and functions increases.

4. What are some common applications of complicated integration of complex numbers?

Complicated integration of complex numbers is commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving electric circuits, fluid dynamics, and signal processing. It is also used in the study of complex functions and their properties.

5. What is the importance of understanding complicated integration of complex numbers?

Understanding complicated integration of complex numbers is important in many areas of science and mathematics. It allows us to solve complex problems and equations that cannot be solved using traditional real integration techniques. It also helps us gain a deeper understanding of complex functions and their behavior, which has many practical applications.