Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Component identification, possibly 'transformer switch'

  1. Sep 20, 2014 #1
    I am in the process of reverse engineering an electrical control box for a spa heater, and have stumbled upon a component that I have not encountered before.


    There are two of these components in the system. I was not able to find any information from the part numbers. The coil leads me to believe that this is a transformer. The additional nodes on the sides and the position within the system also lends to a type of switch. Is there such thing as a transformer switch?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2014 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Might be relays (contactors) for the pump and the heater element...?
  4. Sep 20, 2014 #3

    jim hardy

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

  5. Sep 20, 2014 #4
    Indeed it appears to be a "contactor". I understand what role they play in this system now, thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Component identification, possibly 'transformer switch'