Composing Likert "Subvariables" into a Single Variable

In summary, the author is trying to create a single variable that summarizes the variability in the data by combining the results of a factor analysis with four individual Likert items.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I have many Likert variables regarding a single item issue. Specifically, I am dealing with several measures of
IT Dept Quality, like % of budget devoted to IT department, Number of External Audits, etc ; each is measured on a Likert scale. I ultimately want to regress EDIT against a( single-valued) IV Likert. For this , I need to transform all the individual "submeasures" of IT Dept quality into a single measure. I did FA ( Factor Analysis) and I was able to select 4 items explaining some 79% of variability, so that I may dispose of the other items. Still, I want to make a single variable out of these 4 reduced ones. Are there standard ways of going about this? Would a single variable as the mean to all of these work? Should I maybe do a weighted sum with each subvariable given a weight proportional to the variance it explains, e.g., if I am given X,Y,Z ( after FA) , explaining, say, 60%, 25% and 15% of total variance respectively, would it make sense to transform a triple (x,y,z) of values in (X,Y,Z) into a single value w=12x+5y+3z ? How would this compare to just averaging out into w'=(x+y+z)/3 Any other Ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What would be the advantage of making another single combined variable versus just doing a multiple linear regression using the four factors?

Likes WWGD
FactChecker said:
What would be the advantage of making another single combined variable versus just doing a multiple linear regression using the four factors?
Because I want the Likert to be the DV, so I need to have it as a single variable to regress against a group of IVs.

Likes FactChecker
WWGD said:
Because I want the Likert to be the DV, so I need to have it as a single variable to regress against a group of IVs.
Oh. I see. Sorry, I can't help you. I have no ideas. It seems as though the FA indicates that the 4 factors would be hard (and maybe counter-productive) to combine.

FactChecker said:
Oh. I see. Sorry, I can't help you. I have no ideas. It seems as though the FA indicates that the 4 factors would be hard (and maybe counter-productive) to combine.
No problem, actually I think it is my fault, I think I did not explain why I wanted to combine them or at least not very clearly. Common, FactChecker, can't you read my mind ;) ?

WWGD said:
No problem, actually I think it is my fault, I think I did not explain why I wanted to combine them or at least not very clearly. Common, FactChecker, can't you read my mind ;) ?
You stated it in the OP, but I overlooked the significance.

This is the topic of item response theory, but I am not familiar with the details

Likes WWGD and FactChecker
I would have thought that the single factor that combines them all the best would be the top factor in the SPSS FA "Total Variance Explained" table. The Item Response Theory that @Dale mentions does seem like the right subject. I never heard of it before.

IRT may not apply. Or, more likely, I should be quiet on the subject.

From wikipedia:
This distinguishes IRT from, for instance, the assumption in Likert scaling that "All items are assumed to be replications of each other or in other words items are considered to be parallel instruments"
So, are we violating basic assumptions here by extending Likert scaling results to IRT?

Edit:
source -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Item_response_theory

Likes WWGD and FactChecker
Hmm. @DiracPool may know more about this as it is a tool to evaluate psychometrics results.

Thank you all. What if I considered FactChecker's suggestion ( If I understood correctly) to regress each Likert subvariable that contributes, say, at least 20% of total variability ( as DVs, of course) separately against the IVs?

What is the purpose of composing Likert "Subvariables" into a Single Variable?

The purpose of composing Likert "Subvariables" into a Single Variable is to simplify and streamline data analysis. By combining related Likert scale items into one variable, researchers can reduce the number of variables they need to analyze and make data interpretation easier.

How do you determine which Likert "Subvariables" should be combined into a Single Variable?

The decision to combine Likert "Subvariables" into a Single Variable should be based on the theoretical underpinnings of the study. Researchers should consider which items are measuring the same construct or concept in order to create a meaningful and valid composite variable.

What is the process for composing Likert "Subvariables" into a Single Variable?

The process for composing Likert "Subvariables" into a Single Variable involves several steps. First, the researcher must identify which items are related and should be combined. Next, they should calculate a score for each respondent by summing the responses to the combined items. Finally, the composite variable can be used in data analysis.

What are the advantages of composing Likert "Subvariables" into a Single Variable?

There are several advantages to composing Likert "Subvariables" into a Single Variable. It can reduce the number of variables in the analysis, making it more manageable. It can also increase the reliability and validity of the data by creating a more robust measure of a construct. Additionally, it can make it easier to interpret and communicate results.

Are there any limitations to composing Likert "Subvariables" into a Single Variable?

Yes, there are some limitations to composing Likert "Subvariables" into a Single Variable. Combining items may result in loss of information and nuances captured by individual items. It may also lead to oversimplification of complex constructs. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for all types of data and research questions.