Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Composite Galilean transformation in 2 dimensions

1. Apr 14, 2016 #1
    The Galilean transforms for rotations, boosts and translations in 2D are the follows:

Rotations:
    x' = xcosθ + ysinθ
    y' = -xsinθ + ycosθ

Boosts:
    x' = x - vxt
    y' = y - vyt

Translations:
    x' = x - dx
    y' = y - dx

I wanted to combine these into a single pair of equations, so my first thought was to combine boosts and translations and plug into rotations. Doing that, you get:

x' = (x - dx - vxt)cosθ + (y - dy - vyt)sinθ
    y' = -(x - dx - vxt)sinθ + (y - dy - vyt)cosθ

However, I realized that if you combined the equations differently, say by first plugging rotations into translations, and then plugging that into boosts, you get:

x' = xcosθ + ysinθ - vxt - dx
    y' = -xsinθ + ycosθ- vyt - dy

Which is the correct order, if any, and why? It's also possible that I'm doing the composite wrong somehow, haven't really done that sort of thing since pre-calc.. I'm a junior now.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no "correct" order, you can do it either way, but you will have to use different boosts and displacements. The galilei transformations are generally non-commutative (it is not the same to make a particular boost firs and then a particular rotation as it is to do them in the opposite order). This is nothing strange, rotations in dimensions higher than two are not commutative either.

4. Apr 14, 2016 #3
    How would I go about modifying them? Do I have to analyze everything geometrically, or are there purely algebraic ways of doing it?

5. Apr 14, 2016 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have just done it yourself, so how did you do it?

6. Apr 14, 2016 #5
    I did translations and boosts geometrically, and used linear algebra for rotations. Although I probably could have done rotations geometrically. At any case I'd prefer an algebraic approach, although I don't know how possible it is to divorce the algebra from geometry.

Edit: Nearly forgot, but do you mean that neither of the two equations I put above are right *as is*, or that the first one is right, but the second needs modification?

7. Apr 15, 2016 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, both are right. They just describe different galilean transformations. Just as you get different rotations by first rotating around the y-axis and then the z-axis as compared to doing it in the other order. One describes translate and boost first, then rotate. The other rotate first, then boost and translate.

8. Apr 15, 2016 #7
    Ah okay, I didn't understand 100% correctly at first. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted