What Are the Possible Functions That Satisfy f(f(x)=f(x) on [0,1]?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding all functions that satisfy the equation f(f(x)=f(x) on the interval [0,1], with the added stipulation of allowing for discontinuous functions or those defined separately over the rationals and irrationals. The participants mention that the only known solutions so far are f(x)=x and f(x)=c, but speculate that there may be other interesting and complex functions that also satisfy the equation. Various examples are given, such as f(x) = 1/2 for x <= 1/2 and f(x) = 1 for x > 1/2, as well as f(x) = floor(x+1/2) and the possibility of the Cantor function
Dazedandconfu
aite, here goes f(f(x)=f(x), find all functions that satisfy this on [0,1], i know f(x)=x and f(x)=c satisfy this equation, but I am looking for something more outlandish, feel free to make it discontinuous, define it separately over the rationals and irrationals, or any sort of crazy function, i have no clue about the answer, just thought it was an interesting question

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there are any functions apart from those you mentioned that satisfy that identity. Assume f^(-1), which denotes the inverse of f(x), exists. Then taking f^(-1) both sides, gives f(x)=x. Setting, x=c gives the other case. Although I wouldn't be surprised if there are some brilliant functions that satisfy this.

Charles49 is right if we assume f is invertible, and f(x)=x is the only solution for it.
If not, then we can get some crazy functions like
f(x) = 1/2 if x <= 1/2
f(x) = 1 if x > 1/2
This will also satisfy the question.

(maybe this might be true for cantor function?)

I think this question is quite deep if we don't have any restrictions on f,
because we can have this too:
f(x) = floor(x+1/2), and it satisfies the problem too. (nvm for this, it only works for [0,1) )

What is composition of function?

Composition of function is a mathematical concept that involves combining two or more functions to create a new function. It is denoted by the symbol "∘" and can be thought of as a chain of operations.

How do you write a composition of function?

To write a composition of function, you must first identify the two functions that you want to combine. Then, write the output of one function as the input of the other function, using the "∘" symbol in between. For example, if f(x) and g(x) are two functions, the composition of function would be written as f∘g(x).

What is the difference between composition of function and multiplication?

Composition of function and multiplication may seem similar, but they are different concepts. Composition of function involves combining two functions, while multiplication involves combining two numbers. Additionally, in composition of function, the order of operations matters, while in multiplication, the order does not matter.

Why is composition of function important?

Composition of function is important because it allows us to break down complex functions into simpler components. It also helps us understand the relationship between different functions and how they can work together to solve problems.

What are some real-life applications of composition of function?

Composition of function has many real-life applications, such as in physics, economics, and computer science. For example, in physics, the composition of velocity and time can be used to calculate the position of an object. In economics, the composition of demand and supply functions can be used to determine equilibrium prices. In computer science, the composition of functions is used in programming to create more efficient and complex algorithms.