Prove Integrability of f(x)| 0 to 1 Inequality

In summary, we can prove that the function f(x) = 1+x, 0 \le x \le 1, x rational and f(x) = 1-x, 0 \le x \le 1, x irrational is not integrable on [0,1] by evaluating the lower and upper Riemann sums and using the standard partition. By taking the limits, we can see that the function is not Riemann integrable.
FallArk
Prove that the function
\(\displaystyle f(x) = 1+x, 0 \le x \le 1\), x rational
\(\displaystyle f(x) = 1-x, 0 \le x \le 1\), x irrational (they are one function, I just don't know how to use the LATEX code properly)
is not integrable on \(\displaystyle [0,1]\)
I don't know where to start, I tried to evalute the lower and upper Riemann sum but it does not seem to work.
I have learned some of the criteria for integrability such as Riemann's Criterion, Common Limit Criterion and Null Partitions Criterion. However, I am not familiar with them enough to use it. Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FallArk said:
Prove that the function
\(\displaystyle f(x) = 1+x, 0 \le x \le 1\), x rational
\(\displaystyle f(x) = 1-x, 0 \le x \le 1\), x irrational (they are one function, I just don't know how to use the LATEX code properly)
is not integrable on \(\displaystyle [0,1]\)
I don't know where to start, I tried to evalute the lower and upper Riemann sum but it does not seem to work.
I have learned some of the criteria for integrability such as Riemann's Criterion, Common Limit Criterion and Null Partitions Criterion. However, I am not familiar with them enough to use it. Any help?

Hey FallArk,

The $\LaTeX$ code would be as follows (click Reply With Quote to see what it looks like):
$$
f(x) =
\begin{cases}
1+x, & 0 \le x \le 1, & x \text{ rational} \\
1-x, & 0 \le x \le 1, & x \text{ irrational}
\end{cases}
$$
Now let's pick the standard partition.
And let's try to find an upper bound for the lower Riemann sum with points that are irrational.
Similarly let's find a lower bound for the upper Riemann sum with points that are rational.
What are their limits? (Wondering)

What would be the standard partition? \(\displaystyle P= \left\{[{x}_{0},{x}_{1}],...,[{x}_{i-1},{x}_{i}],...,[{x}_{n-1},{x}_{n}]\right\}\) ?
I think 1-x where x is irrational would be the lower sum, and it should be bounded above by 1, since 0 is not irrational. And 1+x would be the upper sum bounded by 1 as well. :confused:

FallArk said:
What would be the standard partition? \(\displaystyle P= \left\{[{x}_{0},{x}_{1}],...,[{x}_{i-1},{x}_{i}],...,[{x}_{n-1},{x}_{n}]\right\}\) ?
I think 1-x where x is irrational would be the lower sum, and it should be bounded above by 1, since 0 is not irrational. And 1+x would be the upper sum bounded by 1 as well. :confused:

The standard partition is where we divide the interval into equally sized intervals:
$$P_n=\left\{[0,\frac 1n], ..., [\frac{n-1}n,1]\right\}$$
In the interval $[\frac {i-1}n, \frac in]$ an upper bound of the corresponding term of the lower sum would be $1-\frac{i}n$... (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
The standard partition is where we divide the interval into equally sized intervals:
$$P_n=\left\{[0,\frac 1n], ..., [\frac{n-1}n,1]\right\}$$
In the interval $[\frac {i-1}n, \frac in]$ an upper bound of the corresponding term of the lower sum would be $1-\frac{i}n$... (Thinking)
Then the lower bound of the upper sum would be \(\displaystyle 1+\frac{i-1}{n}\)
After that do I simply evaluate the sums?

FallArk said:
Then the lower bound of the upper sum would be \(\displaystyle 1+\frac{i-1}{n}\)
After that do I simply evaluate the sums?

Yep. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep. (Nod)

Like this?
\(\displaystyle \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}L\left(f,{P}_{n}\right) = \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} \left(1-\frac{i}{n}\right)\cdot\frac{1}{n}\)

FallArk said:
Like this?
\(\displaystyle \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}L\left(f,{P}_{n}\right) = \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} \left(1-\frac{i}{n}\right)\cdot\frac{1}{n}\)

We need to sum first.
That is only the contribution of the last interval.

I like Serena said:
We need to sum first.
That is only the contribution of the last interval.

\(\displaystyle L\left(f,{P}_{n}\right) = \sum_{i=1}^{n}\left(1-\frac{i}{n}\right)\cdot\frac{i}{n}\)
then take the limit

FallArk said:
\(\displaystyle L\left(f,{P}_{n}\right) = \sum_{i=1}^{n}\left(1-\frac{i}{n}\right)\cdot\frac{i}{n}\)
then take the limit

It should be:
$$L\left(f,{P}_{n}\right) \le \sum_{i=1}^{n}\left(1-\frac{i}{n}\right)\cdot\frac{1}{n}$$
and:
$$U\left(f,{P}_{n}\right) \ge \sum_{i=1}^{n}\left(1+\frac{i-1}{n}\right)\cdot\frac{1}{n}$$

If we take the limits, we should find that those are different.
Therefore the function is not Riemann integrable.

What does it mean for a function to be integrable?

Integrability refers to the ability to calculate the definite integral of a function within a given interval. It means that the function has a finite area under the curve and can be represented by a single number.

Why is it important to prove integrability of a function?

Proving integrability is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the area under a curve, which has many applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It also helps us understand the behavior of a function and make predictions based on its integral.

What is the process for proving integrability of a function?

The process typically involves showing that the function is continuous and bounded within the given interval, and then using the definition of a Riemann sum to show that the limit of the sum approaches a finite number as the partition of the interval becomes smaller and smaller.

Can a function be integrable but not continuous?

No, a function must be continuous within the given interval in order to be integrable. If a function is not continuous, it may have discontinuities that affect the area under the curve and make it impossible to calculate a definite integral.

How can we use the Intermediate Value Theorem to prove integrability?

The Intermediate Value Theorem states that if a function is continuous within a given interval and takes on two different values at the endpoints of the interval, then it must also take on every value in between. This can be used to show that a function is continuous and bounded, which are necessary conditions for integrability.