1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composition of Functions, Derivatives, Hard Problem

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Does there exist a continuous function f: R -> R such that [tex] f'(f(x)) = x [/tex]?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was trying to find an example, but wasn't able to, and if I had to take a guess whether such a function exists or not, I'd say no. Here is my "proof" (quotation marks because I think the proof is flawed):

Assume [tex] f'(f(x)) = x [/tex]. Then integration gives us [tex] f(f(x)) = \frac{x^2}{2} [/tex]. Now, [tex] (f(f(x))' = f'(f(x))*f'(x) = xf'(x) [/tex]. But since [tex] f(f(x)) = \frac{x^2}{2} [/tex] then [tex] (f(f(x))' = (x^2/2)' = x [/tex]. So [tex] xf'(x) = x [/tex], implying f'(x) = 1. But this contradicts the assumption that f'(f(x)) = x.

I think the flaw is where I did the integration. I don't think I integrated properly.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

try differentiating as a check
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}f(f(x)) = f'(f(x))*f'(x) [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook