1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composition of Linear Transformations

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    Hi,

Two questions:

1) Compute the matrix product corresponding to the composition of the transformations. Let
    U = P4(R) [polynomial degree 4], V = P3(R) , and W = P2, and let S = d/dx (derivative) and T = d/dx (derivative). Then the composition TS = d^2/dx^2 (second deriv)

Attempt: Now I'm assuming that we are using the standard basis vectors of the respective polynomials. So I apply the transformations to the respective polynomials. I forgot to mention S: U-->V , T: V-->W.

now applying the transformation to P4 I get: 4ax^3 + 3bx^2 + 2cx + d. From here I'm suppose to write this vector as a linear combination of the basis vectors, but my issue (if it is one) is that this is the only vector I have in P4 (trying to prove the general case), so am I safe to assume that the coeffcients that I get will be all that I have as my transformation vector from U-->V ? i.e: the coordinate vector? I thought I was suppose to get a full matrix? Once I get this part obviously the second part will follow. Help!!

2) Let V = P3(R) and W = P4(R). Let D: W-->V be the derivative mapping D(p) = p', and let Int: V-->W be the integration mapping Int(p) = "integral sign" p(t) dt. Let "alpha" = {1,x,x^2,x^3} and "beta" = {1,x,x^2,x^3,x^4} be the standard bases in V and W. Compute transformation matrix "beta" to "alpha".

Attempt: Ok so I apply the transformation to the elements of "beta" individually. Now I get D(1) = 0, D(x) = 1, D(x^2) = 2x.......etc. Now I wrote each individual transformation as a linear combination of the standard basis in "alpha" and I get a bunch of coordinate vectors, but one set of these coordinate vectors is all 0's. Is this the right approach or am I missing smoething?

Thanks for your guys help

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2
    You have 5 vectors in P4, i.e., x^4, x^3, x^2, x^1, x^0

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3
    I just realized my mistake, I meant to say "apply the transformation to P4, then I end up in P3"

5. Feb 9, 2012 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to study the relationship between linear operators and matrices. It's explained e.g. in post #3 in this thread. (Ignore the quote and the stuff below it).

Edit: It's not clear to me what's meant by the transformation matrix from beta to alpha.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook