1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composition Series and simple groups

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For each m >= 2, find a group with a composition series of length 1 with a subgroup of length m.

2. Relevant equations
    Simple groups iff length 1.

If G is abelian of order p1^k1....pr^kr, then length G = k1 + ... + kr

If G has a composition series and K is normal subgroup of G, then Length G = Length K + Length G/K

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really see how this is even possible considering the fact that simple groups have length 1. So this means that G must be a simple group. I do not understand how to get a group of length m from a simple group.

I think I'm getting somewhere with this:

What I was thinking was have G = the cyclic group of order p. Then G would have length 1

Then I thought to Let H be a subgroup of G such that |G:H|=p^m, so if G=<a>, st |a|=p, then H=<a^p^(m+1)>

But this doesn't really work because the subgroup would have higher order than G right? Am I missing something, like modular arithmetic?

Any light you guys could shed would be appreciated
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fix m, and let G be an abelian group of length m. Can you put G inside a simple group? (What simple groups do you know?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook