Compound Cylinder stress problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a compound cylinder with various dimensions and pressure conditions. The problem at hand is to determine the maximum internal pressure the cylinder can withstand and the hoop stress at the outer diameter of the inner cylinder. The lamé equation is used to solve for A and B, with boundary conditions for both the inner and outer cylinders. The solution involves separating the effects of shrinkage and pressure and combining them to find the desired values.
EddieHimself

Homework Statement

So we have a compound cylinder, 100 mm internal diameter, 200 mm common diameter and an outer diameter of 300 mm. The pressure created by shrinking the outer cylinder on the inner cylinder is 30 MPa.

If the maximum hoop stress on the outer cylinder is 110 MPa, what is the maximum internal pressure the cylinder can widthstand? [79 MPa]

Also find the hoop stress at the outer diameter of the inner cylinder. [-18 MPa]

Homework Equations

Obviously we have the lamé equation, where σr = A - B/r2 and σh = A + B/r2

Then you have a number of boundary conditions. So as far as I figure it we have

inner tube

r = ri σr = -Pi

r = rc σr = -30 MPa

outer tube

r = rc σr = -30 MPa, σh = 110 MPa

r = ro σr = 0

the problem I am having here is that with A and B being different for the 2 cylinders, it appears that there are too many boundary conditions for the outer cylinder and not enough for the inner one?

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempts so far have basically just centred around solving A and B for the outer cylinder using the various boundary conditions, but it is all a bit pointless because I don't know which ones you are supposed to use and I can't solve for the inner tube because I can't see how I have the relavent information. If anyone could help me with this I would be very appreciative.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to deal with both at the same time, using the interface conditions thst what happens on one also happens on the other in terms of displacements.

Ok I have figured it out. You basically just have to separate out the effects of the shrinkage and the pressure and then add them all together.

1. What is a compound cylinder stress problem?

A compound cylinder stress problem is a type of engineering problem that involves analyzing the stress and strain on a cylinder made up of multiple layers or materials. It is commonly encountered in the design and analysis of complex mechanical systems, such as engines and pressure vessels.

2. How is stress calculated in a compound cylinder?

The stress in a compound cylinder can be calculated using the principles of mechanics and material science. It involves considering factors such as the geometry, material properties, and external loads acting on the cylinder. Complex mathematical equations and computer simulations are often used to accurately determine the stress distribution in a compound cylinder.

3. What are the common causes of stress in a compound cylinder?

The main causes of stress in a compound cylinder are external loads, such as pressure, temperature, and mechanical forces, acting on the cylinder. Other factors such as material properties, surface imperfections, and manufacturing processes can also contribute to stress in a compound cylinder.

4. How is stress in a compound cylinder managed?

To manage stress in a compound cylinder, engineers may use various techniques such as selecting appropriate materials, changing the geometry, or adding reinforcement. The goal is to reduce stress levels to a safe and acceptable range to prevent failure or deformation of the cylinder.

5. What are the potential consequences of high stress in a compound cylinder?

If the stress in a compound cylinder exceeds its strength limit, it can lead to failure or permanent deformation of the cylinder. This can result in costly repairs, equipment downtime, or even catastrophic accidents. It is crucial to accurately analyze and manage stress in compound cylinders to ensure the safety and reliability of mechanical systems.