1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress Distribution in Compound Cylinders

1. May 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A long, hollow, thick elastic cylinder (E , v) is surrounded by a thin elastic band of thickness t made of a different material ([itex]E_2[/itex] , [itex]v_2[/itex]). The fit is ideal, such that neither a gap nor a pressure exists. An internal pressure p is then applied at the inside radius (r=a) of the thick cylinder. Assuming that the radial displacements is continuous at the interface (r=b), prove that the stress in the thick cylinder are given by
    [itex]\sigma_{rr} = -p\frac{\beta(1+(b/r)^2)+(1-(1-((b/r)^2)}{\beta(1+(b/a)^2)+(1-((b/a)^2)}[/itex]

where
    [itex]\beta= \frac{(1-v^2)}{(1+v) v-(bE)(1-v_b^2)/(E_b h)}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Lame's Equations. If a long cylinder is subject to internal pressure [itex]p_i[/itex] at [itex]r_i[/itex] and external pressure [itex]p_o[/itex] at [itex]r_o[/itex] then the radial stress distribution is

[itex]\sigma_{rr}=\frac{p_i r_i^2-p_o r_o^2}{r_o^2-r_i^2}+\frac{r_i^2 r_0^2(p_o-p_i)}{r^2(r_o^2-r_i^2)}[/itex]

and the tangential stress distribution
    [itex]\sigma_{tt}=\frac{p_i r_i^2-p_o r_o^2}{r_o^2-r_i^2}-\frac{r_i^2 r_0^2(p_o-p_i)}{r^2(r_o^2-r_i^2)}[/itex].

and finally the displacement is

[itex]u_r=\frac{1-v}{E}\frac{(p_i r_i^2 - p_o r_o^2)}{r_o^2-r_i^2} r + \frac{1+v}{E}\frac{r_i^2 r_o^2 (p_i-p_o)}{r_o^2-r_i^2}\frac{1}{r}[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to match the displacements at the interface and solve for the interface pressure [itex]P[/itex]. However, I can not get the correct solution with this approach.
    The displacement of the inner cylinder at the interface is given by
    [itex]u_r(r=b)=\frac{1-v}{E}\frac{(p_i a^2 - P b^2)}{b^2-a^2} b + \frac{1+v}{E}\frac{a^2 b^2 (p_i-P)}{b^2-a^2}\frac{1}{b}[/itex].

Canceling terms yields
    [itex]u_r(r=b)=\frac{1}{E(b^2-a^2)}(2p_i a^2 b - (1-v)P b^3 - (1+v)P a^2 b)[/itex]
    The displacement at the interface of the outer cylinder is given by:

[itex]\sigma_\theta ≈ E \epsilon_\theta→ u(r=b) = \frac{Pb^2}{E_2 t}[/itex]

because the outer elastic band is thin. Equating the displacements I get the interface pressure to

[itex]P = \frac{2 p_i a^2}{\frac{Eb(b^2-a^2)}{E_2 t}+(1-v)b^2+(1+b)a^2}[/itex].

I know this is the wrong interface pressure by check the solution given in the problem statement and through FEA analysis.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2014 #2
    Answer

There is a typo in my post above because [itex](1+b)[/itex] should be [itex](1+v)[/itex] in the denominator of the expression for [itex]P[/itex]. The mistake I made was using the lame's equations for plain stress, while the problem wanted to plane strain solution. The expression for [itex]P[/itex] matches the given result by making the plane stress to plane strain substitutions [itex]E\rightarrow E/(1-v^2)[/itex] and [itex]v\rightarrow v/(1-v)[/itex].

Last edited: May 13, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted