Compound planetary gear problem

In summary, the student needs to find the number of teeth on the ring gear, calculate the torque required to turn the LED, find the required initial speed for the ring gear, and calculate the speed of the engine.
Pawllentiew
Hi, I need a little help with this problem with compound planetary gears. I don't know how to apply the formulas for this specific type of placement.

I need to know the final speed of the engine knowing the number of teeth z1 = -104 ring gear which is internal, z2,3,4 = 22 for small planets, z5,6,7 = 65 for large planets, z8 = 17 for the small sun, z9 = 95 for the big sun and z10 = 13 for spool gear.

A weight of 12kg will be attached to the ring gear on one side and 2kg of counterweight on the other from a height of 2 m. I want to calculate the speed and torque that the engine will have if I want the weight to fall within 20 minutes from the 2m.

And i also need the ratio that the system have. The modulus of the wheels is 0.8 and the pressure angle is 20. I also know that the spool from the z10 have diameter equal to 30 mm and the one from the motor have 15 mm. These are the data I know and don't really know how to apply it. Can someone help me?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Pawllentiew said:
Hi, I need a little help with this problem with compound planetary gears.
It looks like this is a continuation of another thread that you already have going in the schoolwork forums. Please continue posting your work in that thread. This new thread is closed.

Feel free to send me a message if for some reason this is a new project not related to schoolwork. (Click on my avatar and "Start a conversation").

From your other thread:

Pawllentiew said:
Hi, I've been pretty busy for the last few weeks but I've managed to make a scheme. I'm not good at this. It's the first time I've received something like this to do. so it's probably wrong. That's why I need some clarification if anyone offers to give it to me.

I don't know how to start the calculations for this mechanism. Should I calculate the number of teeth? How do I do this if I don't have the mechanism and I'm just trying to create it from scratch? Do I randomly put the number of teeth or do I have to follow a formula? What is that formula for this mechanism?

After finding out the number of teeth how should I create the formulas to find out the torque for my mechanism? do I break down the mechanism in the part that contains sun gear, planet gear, ring gear and the part that contains the sprocket for the belt and the belt? Do I calculate them when they are decomposed or do they have to be calculated together to find out the torsion or the rest of the parameters? And what would be the formula that emerges in any case?

I really don't know how I should start and where to start. a few formulas would help me answer these questions. This mechanism aims to increase the rotation enough to rotate the dc motor at a speed high enough (1600 rpm) to turn on an LED. Basically, a rope is glued to a ring gear to which a weight and a counterweight are attached. Gravity helping the mechanism to rotate, ring gear is the input. From this ring gear the rest of the components should increase their speed until the engine starts that led of about 15 lumens. I know that for this LED it takes 1600rpm to start with the engine.

How do I find the required initial speed with which the ring gear must rotate when the weight is falling. I'm very stuck because I don't know what to start with and what are the formulas needed for this kind of mechanism with just this information I have. I only own what the mechanism looks like as a drawing. but without number of teeth or other dimensions

1. What is a compound planetary gear problem?

A compound planetary gear problem is a type of mechanical engineering problem that involves analyzing the motion and forces of a system of gears, specifically a compound planetary gear system. This system consists of multiple gears arranged in a complex configuration, making it more challenging to solve than a simple gear system.

2. What are the main components of a compound planetary gear system?

The main components of a compound planetary gear system include the sun gear, planet gears, ring gear, and carrier. The sun gear is typically the input gear, while the planet gears rotate around it and mesh with the ring gear. The carrier holds the planet gears in place and can also rotate.

3. How is the gear ratio calculated in a compound planetary gear system?

The gear ratio in a compound planetary gear system is calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the output gear (ring gear) by the number of teeth on the input gear (sun gear). If the carrier is also rotating, its gear ratio is calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the carrier gear by the number of teeth on the planet gears.

4. What is the purpose of using a compound planetary gear system?

Compound planetary gear systems are commonly used in machinery and vehicles to achieve high gear ratios in a compact and efficient design. They are also used to change the direction of rotation and to distribute torque evenly among multiple gears.

5. What are some common applications of compound planetary gear systems?

Compound planetary gear systems are used in a wide range of applications, including automotive transmissions, industrial machinery, and robotics. They are also commonly found in wind turbines, bicycles, and even toys such as toy cars and helicopters.