1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compress a very hot plasma, change in electromagnetic energy?

1. Sep 4, 2013 #1
    Say I have a volume of hydrogen gas that is raised to a temperature T so that 99.9 percent of the gas is ionized. If now, with the plasma at some pressure P, the volume is compressed a small volume dV such that no energy leaves the volume I'm curious of a total accounting of where the energy PdV goes.

Some energy goes into heating the plasma and some energy goes into "heating" the photon gas?

This is not a statics problem but is there an average total electrostatic energy that can be computed and does it change during compression? The electrostatic energy of a compressed neutral plasma confuses me.

What about the magnetic energy of the moving charges, their average speed increases but the volume decreases so does the total magnetic energy change?

I may be mixing classical and quantum, any clarifications welcome.

Thanks for any help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2013 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What "photon gas" are you referring to?
  4. Sep 4, 2013 #3
    I assumed that if we have a plasma at equilibrium temperature T there would also be black body radiation at the same temperature T that coexisted with the plasma?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook