Compression of an object under it's own weight.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the decrease in height of the center of mass of a cube with side length a, mass m, and Young's modulus E. The speaker initially solved the problem without considering the normal force, but realizes their approach was incorrect. The differential force balance on a section of the cube is then discussed, resulting in a new understanding of the problem.
LordGfcd
Let's first consider a cube side length a, mass m, Young's modulus of the block is E. How do we calculate the decrease of the height of the center of mass of that cube ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts so far on how to approach this problem?

Actually I solved this problem assuming the cube is deform before the normal force make balance with gravity. I eventually find an acceptable result (a=10cm,m=1kg,E=10^7 Pa) : 2,27 μm. But I still think my approaching is wrong because I didn't consider the normal force (action equal minus reaction ofcourse). So I must consider the normal force too, but I don't know how . And, if the normal force balance with gravity, isn't the cube will stop deforming ?

The differential force balance on the section of the cube between z and z + ##\Delta z## (z is measured downward from the top) is $$a^2\frac{d\sigma}{dz}=\rho g a^2$$ where A is the cross sectional area, ##\sigma## is the compressive stress, and ##\rho## is the density of the material ##m/(a^2L)##. Do you see how this result is derived?

Last edited:
Thank you very much, I was completely wrong with my argument.

1. What is compression of an object under its own weight?

Compression is the process by which an object is pushed or squeezed, resulting in a decrease in its volume or size. When an object is under its own weight, it experiences a force that pushes down on it, causing it to compress.

2. What causes an object to compress under its own weight?

An object compresses under its own weight due to the force of gravity. Gravity pulls all objects towards the center of the Earth, causing them to experience a downward force. This force is what causes an object to compress when it is under its own weight.

3. How does the compression of an object under its own weight affect its size?

The compression of an object under its own weight will decrease its size or volume. This is because the force of gravity is pushing down on the object, causing it to become more compact and take up less space.

4. Can the compression of an object under its own weight cause damage?

Yes, the compression of an object under its own weight can cause damage. If an object is not able to withstand the force of gravity pushing down on it, it may become deformed or even break. This is why it is important to consider the weight and strength of an object when designing structures or objects.

5. How can the compression of an object under its own weight be prevented?

The compression of an object under its own weight can be prevented by providing support or reinforcement to the object. This can be done by using materials that can withstand the force of gravity, or by using additional structures such as beams or columns to distribute the weight and prevent excessive compression on a single point.