Compressor Water Cooled Chiller Thermal Calculations

In summary: Hi Russ,There are more to this problem but I would first like to be educated on this:Say for a given chiller system, I would like the evaporator water leaving temperature set at say 6C with a 4000gpm flow rate and the evaporator returning temperature at 14C. Now I know that the total cooling RT is Q = 500 * GPM * dF, but how would this translate to the RLA of the chiller compressor?The only way for a real chiller to calculate that would be to get a performance map from the manufacturer. I say "map" because in addition to evaporator flow and temperature, you need condenser flow and temperature. The manufacturer should
David Gin
Hi All,

Is there a list of thermodynamics equations regarding the chiller process from condenser, evaporator, compressor to the regulator.

Say I have chiller load at 90%, what set of equations could I use to determine the supply temperature of chill water and condenser supply temperature to set to reduce that load to say 85% while keeping the same flow rate?

There's the usual estimate of Q = 500 * GPM * dT, but it is insufficient for my needs.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If I understand correctly this is an analysis of a water chiller used to cool a heat exchanger from a refrigeration cycle. If you know the heat output from that cycle's heat exchanger, can you just directly calculate how much water flow is needed using water's specific heat capacity?

Mech_Engineer said:
If I understand correctly this is an analysis of a water chiller used to cool a heat exchanger from a refrigeration cycle. If you know the heat output from that cycle's heat exchanger, can you just directly calculate how much water flow is needed using water's specific heat capacity?
What I am looking for is a set of equation showing the relationship between the chilled water supply setpoint and the compressor load(centrifugal compressor % running). I understands that Q(Load) = Efficiency * Q(Chiller) and Q = cp * Flow * density * dT. But how would this relates to compressor load? Thank you for your time.

Three issues here:
1. There is no simple equation for this. It depends on the combined dynamics of the chiller and load.
2. You have too many unknowns: Load is not just a function of supply temperature. It either is what it is or is determined by its own potentially complicated system dynamics.
3. I suspect there is more to this problem than you are telling us. If you elaborate on the problem you are trying to solve, we will undoubtedly be able to provide better help.

russ_watters said:
Three issues here:
1. There is no simple equation for this. It depends on the combined dynamics of the chiller and load.
2. You have too many unknowns: Load is not just a function of supply temperature. It either is what it is or is determined by its own potentially complicated system dynamics.
3. I suspect there is more to this problem than you are telling us. If you elaborate on the problem you are trying to solve, we will undoubtedly be able to provide better help.
Hi Russ,
There are more to this problem but I would first like to be educated on this:
Say for a given chiller system, I would like the evaporator water leaving temperature set at say 6C with a 4000gpm flow rate and the evaporator returning temperature at 14C. Now I know that the total cooling RT is Q = 500 * GPM * dF, but how would this translate to the RLA of the chiller compressor?

The only way for a real chiller to calculate that would be to get a performance map from the manufacturer. I say "map" because in addition to evaporator flow and temperature, you need condenser flow and temperature. The manufacturer should be able to provide the efficiency at those conditions, from which you can calculate the RLA.

1. What is a compressor water cooled chiller?

A compressor water cooled chiller is a type of cooling system that uses water as a refrigerant to absorb heat from a space and then releases it outside. It consists of a compressor, condenser, expansion valve, and evaporator.

2. How does a compressor water cooled chiller work?

The compressor in a water cooled chiller compresses the refrigerant, increasing its temperature and pressure. The hot refrigerant then flows through the condenser, where it releases heat to the water, causing it to condense. The condensed water then passes through the expansion valve, which reduces its pressure and temperature. Finally, the cool water flows through the evaporator, absorbing heat from the space, and the cycle repeats.

3. What factors affect the thermal calculations for a compressor water cooled chiller?

The thermal calculations for a compressor water cooled chiller are affected by several factors, including the cooling load of the space, the desired temperature setpoint, the type and efficiency of the compressor, and the heat transfer properties of the water and refrigerant being used.

4. How are compressor water cooled chiller thermal calculations performed?

To calculate the thermal requirements for a compressor water cooled chiller, the cooling load of the space must first be determined. This can be done using factors such as the size of the space, the number of occupants, and the heat-generating equipment present. Then, the desired temperature setpoint and the efficiency of the chiller's components are taken into account to determine the required cooling capacity.

5. What are the benefits of using a compressor water cooled chiller?

Compressor water cooled chillers have several benefits, including high efficiency, lower operating costs, and a smaller physical footprint compared to other cooling systems. They also have a longer lifespan and are more environmentally friendly, as they do not use harmful refrigerants like CFCs. Additionally, they can provide both cooling and heating capabilities, making them versatile for various applications.