1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compton scattering and collision within blackbody

1. Feb 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a blackbody contain atoms that typically produce photons with energy of about 7eV. Estimate the number of photon-electron collision each photon undergoes before it escape the object. Assume the blackbody has a temperature of 1000K.

2. Relevant equations

λ2 - λ1 = λcompton(1 - cosθ)

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure if I have all relevent equation but this is what i did:

calculated total kinetic energy by converting the temperature to kinetic energy using Boltzmann constant: kinetic energy=(3/2)KT. Then dived the total kinetic energy by 7eV

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2013 #2
    I don't understand how this helps.

How much energy does a single photon lose in a single Compton scattering? What is the average energy lost over multiple scatterings (with different angles θ)?

4. Feb 10, 2013 #3
    Both were not given, but I assume 180 degree for max scattering?

5. Feb 11, 2013 #4
    Assuming 180 degree angle is not entirely correct, but you can certainly do it like that, and it will give you at least a good order of magnitude estimate. Ideally you would like to take an average over all possible angles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook