Compton Scattering cross section calculation

Just a little bit of thinking should show you what the problem is.In summary, The conversation is about trying to calculate the differential cross section for the interaction between an electron and a photon via compton scattering. The individual steps and equations used to reach the solution are discussed, but there are some errors and missing components that need to be addressed before continuing.
DeShark
Not technically homework, just something I wanted to see if I could do.

Homework Statement

Find the differential cross section for the interaction between an electron and a photon via compton scattering. Basically, I'm just after calculating the matrix (s-matrix?/amplitude?) for the s-channel interaction firstly.

Homework Equations

I drew up the feynman diagram for the s-channel, a version of which can be found at http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/ComptonScattering-s.svg

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the feynman rules, I attempted to write out the Matrix in terms of the spinors and propagators and interaction terms, etc.

Initially, I have a photon with momentum k1 and an electron with momentum p1. This electron then continues (propagates) with momentum p2=p1+k1. Then it emits a photon with momentum k2 and has a resulting momentum p3=p2-k2.

For this, I have:

[tex]M=\{\bar{u}(p_2)(-ie\gamma^{\mu})u(p_1)\} \{\frac{i}{p\!\!\!/{}_2 - m}\} \{\bar{u}(p_3)(-ie\gamma^{\nu})u(p_2)\}[/tex]

Basically, we only covered roughly how to turn diagrams into equations the other day, so I'm fairly sure I've already made a mistake by this point. However, I'll amble on until I hit some mega problems...

Now, I want to find the probability of this event occurring. From what I think I know, if there's a possibility for the event to happen in more than one way, I should sum the amplitudes and then take the square. For this, I'd need to calculate the matrix for the u-channel, no? Then sum the two matrices and then multiply by the adjoint of this sum to find the absolute value squared. Well, that sounds rather complicated to me, so I'd like to just pretend that the u-channel is forbidden. Taking this as fact, I continue by finding the adjoint of the matrix for the s-channel..

Using the fact that
[tex](AB)^\dagger = B^\dagger A^\dagger[/tex],
I found that
[tex]M^\dagger = (\{\bar{u}(p_3)(-ie\gamma^{\nu})u(p_2)\})^\dagger (\{\frac{i}{p\!\!\!/{}_2 - m}\})^\dagger (\{\bar{u}(p_2)(-ie\gamma^{\mu})u(p_1)\})^\dagger[/tex]

I've also found out that

[tex](\{\bar{u}(p_2)(-ie\gamma^{\mu})u(p_1)\})^\dagger = \{\bar{u}(p_1)(+ie\gamma^{\mu})u(p_2)\}[/tex]
[tex](\{\bar{u}(p_3)(-ie\gamma^{\nu})u(p_2)\})^\dagger = \{\bar{u}(p_2)(+ie\gamma^{\nu})u(p_3)\}[/tex]

I'm not entirely sure that these are correct either. I'm completely unsure as to how to take the conjugate transpose of the propagator... Does anyone have any hints? And if someone who knows could let me know whether what I'm doing is complete nonsense or if it's making a reasonable amount of sense I'd really love that, cause I'm fairly sure I'm not doing this right. Thanks to anyone who might be able to help!Edit: Actually, thinking about it some more I *know* I've gone wrong, because the photon's momentum is contained nowhere! Upon reading a little... it seems that there is a factor of [tex]\epsilon_{\mu}(k)[/tex] which needs to replace the outgoing electron at the first vertex. Is that right? That would make the matrix at the end be

[tex]M=\{\epsilon_{\mu}(k_1)(-ie\gamma^{\mu})u(p_1)\} \{\frac{i}{p\!\!\!/{}_2 - m}\} \{\bar{u}(p_3)(-ie\gamma^{\nu})\epsilon^{*}_{\mu}(k_2)\}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DeShark said:
Find the differential cross section for the interaction between an electron and a photon via compton scattering.

[added by turin: initial state]
... photon with momentum k1 and ... electron with momentum p1.

[added by turin: intermediate state]
... electron ... with momentum p2=p1+k1.

[added by turin: final state]
... photon with momentum k2 and ... [added by turin: electron with] momentum p3=p2-k2.
So far so good.

DeShark said:
[tex]M=\{\bar{u}(p_2)(-ie\gamma^{\mu})u(p_1)\} \{\frac{i}{p\!\!\!/{}_2 - m}\} \{\bar{u}(p_3)(-ie\gamma^{\nu})u(p_2)\}[/tex]
This is not quite correct. First of all and most obviously, you are missing photon polarizations. Secondly, your expression indicates a three-pt electron vertex, or something more bizarre, rather than the charge current. Among other things, this violates Lorentz invariance.

I will stop right there, because these are severe enough problems (at least the second one) that you need to clear them up before you procede with the subject.

1. What is Compton Scattering and why is it important?

Compton Scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon collides with an electron, transferring some of its energy and changing its direction. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of light and matter, and has many applications in fields such as medicine, astrophysics, and material science.

2. How is the Compton Scattering cross section calculated?

The Compton Scattering cross section is calculated using the Klein-Nishina formula, which takes into account the energy and angle of the incoming photon, as well as the mass and energy of the electron. The formula is derived from quantum electrodynamics and provides an accurate prediction of the probability of scattering for a given set of parameters.

3. What factors affect the Compton Scattering cross section?

The Compton Scattering cross section is affected by the energy and angle of the incoming photon, the mass and energy of the electron, and the atomic number and density of the material being scattered through. Other factors such as the polarization of the photon and the spin of the electron can also have an impact on the cross section.

4. How is Compton Scattering used in medical imaging?

In medical imaging, Compton Scattering is used in techniques such as X-ray and CT scans. When X-rays are directed at the body, some of them undergo Compton Scattering with the electrons in the tissues, producing an image that can be used to diagnose medical conditions. This is possible because different types of tissue have different electron densities, resulting in varying levels of scattering.

5. What are the limitations of the Compton Scattering cross section calculation?

The Compton Scattering cross section calculation is based on various assumptions and simplifications, such as the electron being at rest before the scattering event and the photon being a point particle. These limitations can lead to discrepancies between the calculated cross section and experimental results. Additionally, the calculation does not take into account interactions with other particles present in the material, which can also affect the scattering process.