1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computational Mechanics vs. Structural Engineering

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    Hello. I am currently a mechanical engineering junior at the University of Kentucky. I am beginning to consider graduate school. I know I want to study applied mechanics, but am unsure of whether I should study CM as a ME grad student or SE as a CE grad student. What is the difference between the two? Which would you expect to be more mathematically intensive? I love math, and have taken a year long sequence in real analysis as elective... more math the better. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Computational mechanics is the application of computational methods to solving problems in all branches of mechanics. CM would range from orbital dynamics to fluid mechanics, structures, etc. Structural engineering is a much narrower field than CM. Due to the variety of topics covered by CM, this field would IMO require a much broader and deeper understanding of math than SE.

4. Mar 26, 2013 #3
    Yeah, I have dug a little deeper and it is apparent by course titles. A course title for SE might be "pre-stressed concrete structures" while most titles for CM are along the lines of "Foundations of Solid Mechanics". I also noticed that CM requires at a minimum 3 graduate math classes while SE requires nothing past undergrad(calc 1-4 and 300-400 level elective). They are vastly different. Bring on the tensors!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook