1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computational physics specialization

1. May 11, 2013 #1
    I really like all (most) fields of physics and I find it hard to choose a specialization for my master's and eventually my career. Is it possible to specialize in computational physics so that I could work in many different fields?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2013 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Yes. Computational physics is somewhat of a broad term, since it infers the use of numerical or computational methods to all fields/branches of physics, e.g., mechanics of materials, or condensed matter physics, including molecular dynamics, fluid mechanics/dynamics, plasma physics, nuclear physics, astrophysics, shockwave physics, etc.

One basically solves a system of partial differential equations (often nonlinear) and maybe some linear ODEs over a range of spatial domains and time scales. One could simulate a single material, a binary system, e.g., alloy or mixture, a multiphase system, or an complex system involving numerous materials and phases (e.g., a nuclear fuel element operating in nuclear reactor under normal or transient conditions, or a star, or a rocket motor, or a ballistic projectile colliding with a solid wall, . . . ).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook