Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer 5V or 0V output to Sensaphone Express II

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    I'm using a LabView controlled alarm system in my lab where an alarm condition triggers a USB DAQ analog output signal to switch from +5V to 0V. This signal is going to a sensaphone express II alarm box normally open relay input. The normally open relay input sees 5V as an open (no alarm condition) and 0V as a short (alarm). My problem is the my USB DAQ only has 5 analog output and I would like to have more. I don't want to spend a lot of money. Any suggestions on an inexpensive USB DAQ or PCI DAQ with similar functionality but more channels? Or better yet a way to get a similar effect straight out of the computer? Maybe USB? RS232?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2
    If you just want to control an external relay Phidgets has several USB boards you can use:

I've used the Servo Controllers and RFID boards and they are remarkably easy to interface to from C# and VB. They have Labview support, but I haven't tried it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Feb 4, 2010 #3
    That sounds perfect! Thanks!
  5. Feb 5, 2010 #4
  6. May 31, 2011 #5
    If you need alot of outputs like the Express II but are looking for a rack mountable http://www.surewarning.com" [Broken] I'd check out Absolute Automation. They have the IMS-4000 which is expandable and rack mountable.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook