Labview/DAQ Problem: Accelerometer Measurement Troubleshooting

• Thread starter linford86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an accelerometer to take measurements, with the accelerometer physically wired to a computer's DAQ board. Despite following the manual's instructions for the pinout, the signal saturates and reads a flat 10V, which is incorrect. It is suspected that either Labview or the DAQ are not properly detecting ground. However, the issue is eventually resolved by tightening the connector from the external circuitry to the DAQ.
linford86
I'm trying to use an accelerometer to take measurements. I have it physically wired to my computer's DAQ board (a NI 6025E). According to the manual, pin 1 is ground and pin 3 is analog input 0. Therefore, this is where I have the output from my accelerometer going. I checked the signal at those pins using an oscilloscope and confirmed that there is the correct signal at that location in the circuit. I'm trying to use one of the example Lab View files to view the data from the DAQ board. However, according to the graph in Lab view, the waveform just grows and eventually saturates. At that point, all the DAQ reads is a flat 10V. I know, however, that this is incorrect because the signal from the accelerometer is between 0 and 5 volts. I suspect that either Labview or the DAQ are not "seeing" ground correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
linford86 said:
I'm trying to use an accelerometer to take measurements. I have it physically wired to my computer's DAQ board (a NI 6025E). According to the manual, pin 1 is ground and pin 3 is analog input 0. Therefore, this is where I have the output from my accelerometer going. I checked the signal at those pins using an oscilloscope and confirmed that there is the correct signal at that location in the circuit. I'm trying to use one of the example Lab View files to view the data from the DAQ board. However, according to the graph in Lab view, the waveform just grows and eventually saturates. At that point, all the DAQ reads is a flat 10V. I know, however, that this is incorrect because the signal from the accelerometer is between 0 and 5 volts. I suspect that either Labview or the DAQ are not "seeing" ground correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong? Thanks.

Welcome to the PF. Are you using the NI Measurement & Automation Explorer to look at the ADC data?

It took me a bit of googling to get the pinout (the NI page wasn't cooperating):

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/370719c.pdf (page 12)

The pinout you mention in your post does not seem to match...?

I actually solved this problem today. The connector from the external circuitry to the DAQ on the back of the computer wasn't tight enough, so the ground wasn't actually being properly connected. Why the signal saturates when there's nothing connected beats the hell out of me.

At any rate, you wrote that the pin out I gave you was incorrect. However, the document you posted has exactly the same pin out. I'm looking at page 14 of that pdf. It says Al GND (Analog Ground) next to pin 1. Then it says Al 0 (Analog Input 0) next to pin 3. So the connections I posted before were correct.

linford86 said:
I actually solved this problem today. The connector from the external circuitry to the DAQ on the back of the computer wasn't tight enough, so the ground wasn't actually being properly connected. Why the signal saturates when there's nothing connected beats the hell out of me.

At any rate, you wrote that the pin out I gave you was incorrect. However, the document you posted has exactly the same pin out. I'm looking at page 14 of that pdf. It says Al GND (Analog Ground) next to pin 1. Then it says Al 0 (Analog Input 0) next to pin 3. So the connections I posted before were correct.

Glad the problem is fixed. The AI input will float someplace if nothing is connected to it, so floating up is reasonable.

Ah, on the pinout, I was looking at the wrong page. I was looking at the first page of 3 pages of pinouts, and didn't read that I was looking at the wrong card's pinout. Sorry for any confusion.

1. What is Labview and how does it work?

Labview is a graphical programming language and development environment used for creating data acquisition (DAQ) systems. It works by allowing users to drag and drop virtual instruments, called "nodes," onto a block diagram and connect them to create a program flow.

2. How can I troubleshoot accelerometer measurements in Labview?

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot accelerometer measurements in Labview:

• Check the connections between the accelerometer and the DAQ device to ensure they are secure.
  • Make sure the accelerometer is properly calibrated.
  • Verify that the settings for the DAQ device and the accelerometer match.
  • Check for any electronic noise or interference that may be affecting the measurements.
  • Try using a different accelerometer or DAQ device to see if the issue persists.

3. Why am I getting inaccurate measurements from my accelerometer in Labview?

There are a few possible reasons for inaccurate accelerometer measurements in Labview:

• The accelerometer may be damaged or malfunctioning.
  • The DAQ device or Labview program may not be configured correctly.
  • There may be external factors, such as vibrations or temperature changes, affecting the measurements.
  • There could be errors in the Labview program logic.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of my accelerometer measurements in Labview?

To improve the accuracy of accelerometer measurements in Labview, you can:

• Use a high-quality, properly calibrated accelerometer.
  • Minimize external factors that could affect the measurements, such as vibrations or temperature changes.
  • Ensure proper grounding and shielding of the DAQ system.
  • Implement signal conditioning techniques, such as filtering or amplification, to improve the accuracy of the measurements.

5. Can I use Labview for real-time data acquisition with an accelerometer?

Yes, Labview can be used for real-time data acquisition with an accelerometer. The software is designed to handle large amounts of data and can be configured to continuously acquire and process data from an accelerometer in real time. However, the speed and accuracy of the measurements may depend on the specific hardware and setup being used.