Computing a centralizer in D_8

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computing
In summary, the question asks to compute the centralizer of a set in the dihedral group ##D_8##. Using previous knowledge, it is determined that the order of the centralizer can only be 2, 4, or 8. By computation, it is found to be 4 and since the element ##sr^2## is in the centralizer, it is concluded that the centralizer is the set itself, which is the Klein four-group.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

If ##A = \{1,r^2,s,sr^2 \}##, compute ##C_{D_8}(A)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am not exactly sure what is the best way to do this, but here is what I tried. From previous problems I know that ##Z(D_8) = \{1, r^2 \}##. So ##Z(G) \le C_{D_8}(A) \le D_8##, so the order of ##C_{D_8}(A)## can only be 2, 4, or 8. It's not 8 since we can compute directly that ##r \not \in C_{D_8}(A)##. It's not 2 since we can compute directly that ##s \in C_{D_8}(A)##. So the order is 4. And since by computation we see that ##sr^2 \in C_{D_8}(A)##, we have that ##C_{D_8}(A) = A##.

Physics news on Phys.org
How to read the index? I only know the notation ##|D_n|=2n## but I assume you mean ##|D_8|=8##.

fresh_42 said:
How to read the index? I only know the notation ##|D_n|=2n## but I assume you mean ##|D_8|=8##.
I am using the notation that ##|D_{2n}| = 2n##, which is what's used in Dummit and Foote.

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

If ##A = \{1,r^2,s,sr^2 \}##, compute ##C_{D_8}(A)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am not exactly sure what is the best way to do this, but here is what I tried. From previous problems I know that ##Z(D_8) = \{1, r^2 \}##. So ##Z(G) \le C_{D_8}(A) \le D_8##, so the order of ##C_{D_8}(A)## can only be 2, 4, or 8. It's not 8 since we can compute directly that ##r \not \in C_{D_8}(A)##. It's not 2 since we can compute directly that ##s \in C_{D_8}(A)##. So the order is 4. And since by computation we see that ##sr^2 \in C_{D_8}(A)##, we have that ##C_{D_8}(A) = A##.
Maybe correct, maybe not. You haven't done the multiplications, and I'm too lazy to do it again.

What I have observed is, that ##A## is the Klein four-group ##V_4 \cong \mathbb{Z}_2^2##. Since ##D_8## (I really don't like this notation) isn't Abelian and ##V_4## normal in ##D_8##, we have ##D_8 \cong V_4 \rtimes \mathbb{Z}_2 = A \rtimes \mathbb{Z}_2##. Since ##V_4## is Abelian, we have ##D_8 \supsetneq C_{D_8}(A) \supseteq A## and therefore by Lagrange ##C_{D_8}(A)=A##.

Likes Mr Davis 97

What is a centralizer in D_8?

A centralizer in D_8 is a subgroup that contains all the elements of the group that commute with a given element. In other words, it is the set of elements that leave the given element unchanged when multiplied by it.

How do you compute a centralizer in D_8?

To compute a centralizer in D_8, we first need to determine the given element's order. Then, we can find all the elements that commute with it by multiplying it by itself multiple times until we get the identity element. The set of these elements forms the centralizer.

What is the order of the centralizer in D_8?

The order of the centralizer in D_8 is equal to the order of the given element. This is because the centralizer consists of all the elements that commute with the given element, and the order of an element is the number of times it needs to be multiplied by itself to get the identity element.

Can the centralizer in D_8 be a proper subgroup?

Yes, the centralizer in D_8 can be a proper subgroup. This happens when the given element has a smaller order than the order of the group itself. In this case, the centralizer will be a proper subgroup of D_8.

What is the significance of computing a centralizer in D_8?

Computing a centralizer in D_8 is important because it helps us to understand the structure of the group and its elements better. It also allows us to identify subgroups and study their properties, which can be useful in solving problems and proving theorems in group theory.