Centralizers and Center for S_3

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Center
In summary, the task is to compute the centralizers of each element in ##S_3## and find the center. Using direct computation, it was found that ##Z (S_3) = \{ 1 \}## and ##C_{S_3} ((123)) = \{1, (123), (132) \}##, while ##C_{S_3} (1) = S_3## and ##C_{S_3} ((13)) = \{1, (13) \}##, ##C_{S_3} ((12)) = \{1, (12) \}##, and ##C_{S_3} ((23)) = \{
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

For ##S_3## compute the centralizers of each element and find the center.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that ##Z (S_3) = \{ 1 \}##, ##C_{S_3} (1) = S_3##, ##C_{S_3} ((13)) = \{1, (13) \}##, ##C_{S_3} ((12)) = \{1, (12) \}##, ##C_{S_3} ((23)) = \{1, (23) \}##, ##C_{S_3} ((123)) = \{1, (123) \}##, ##C_{S_3} ((132)) = \{ 1, (132)\}##.

However, I found these by direct computation of each pair of elements to see if they commute. Would there be a faster way to do this? Would Lagrange's theorem help reduce the number of calculations I needed to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first line is more or less obvious, so there are only the 3-cycles which might have a different result. As they are inverse to each other, only one centralizer will actually have to be calculated: ##C_{S_3}(123)=\{\,1,(123),(123)^{-1}=(132)\,\}##, which suffices to show that ##(12) \notin C_{S_3}(123)##. So all in all, only $$
(12)(123)(12) \neq (123)
$$
has to be shown.

I understand, that you could say: "What about ##S_n\,?## Well, ##S_n## is a semidirect product. I haven't checked or in mind how centralizers behave with the operation of the subgroup on the normal subgroup, but this is where I would start. Centralizers doesn't seem to be normal, so that could by a problem. The center is easier, as it is a normal subgroup and the ##A_n## are simple for ##n > 4##.

Likes Mr Davis 97

Related to Centralizers and Center for S_3

1. What is a centralizer in group theory?

A centralizer in group theory refers to the set of elements in a group that commute with a specific element. In other words, it is the set of elements that can be multiplied by the given element without changing the result.

2. What is the center of a group?

The center of a group is the set of elements that commute with all other elements in the group. In other words, it is the set of elements that commute with every element in the group, including itself.

3. What is the relationship between centralizers and the center of a group?

The centralizer of an element is a subgroup of the group, and the center of the group is a subset of the centralizer of every element in the group. This means that the center is a subgroup of every centralizer in the group.

4. How is the centralizer of an element related to its conjugacy class?

The centralizer of an element is the largest subgroup of the group that contains the element and is contained in its conjugacy class. In other words, it is the subgroup that preserves the conjugacy of the element.

5. How does the center of a group relate to its normal subgroups?

The center of a group is always a normal subgroup, meaning that it is closed under conjugation by any element in the group. Additionally, if a group has a non-trivial center, then it must have non-trivial normal subgroups.