1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing a double integral with given vertices

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]

Use the transformation that takes the unit square to a triangle to compute the integral

[tex]\int\int_{B}2x+3y dA[/tex]

Where B is a triangular region with vertices (0,0), (5,2), and (3,4).

3. The attempt at a solution

What I did was I drew the region on an xy plane, I split the triangle up into two triangles and found my limits of integration by drawing the lines made by connecting the vertices. Because I split the triangle up into two, I needed to add two seperate double integrals.

This is what I got.

[tex]\int_{x=0}^{x=3}\int_{y=5x/2}^{y=4x/2}(2x+3y) dydx + \int_{x=3}^{x=5}\int_{y=5x/2}^{y=-x+7}(2x+3y) dydx[/tex]

With the first integral I got

[tex]\dfrac{-651}{8}[/tex]

for the second integral i got

[tex]\dfrac{-4739}{12}[/tex]

I figured that if I add both of them together I would get the volume underneath that region (the whole thing), but the number I got, [tex]\frac{11431}{24}[/tex] seems to large.

I also don't think I'm doing it the method wanted.
    Can anyone please direct me where to go from here, i'm somewhat lost.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I didn't check your work because, as you suspect, that isn't the method you have been asked to use. Your question refers to "the" transformation that takes the unit square to a triangle. I'm guessing your text has given you that example. Look it up and share the equations of that transformation with us and then we can talk.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook