1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing another line integral

1. Jan 14, 2013 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let C be the semi-circle on the sphere [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2 = 2[/itex] from [itex]N = (0,0,\sqrt{2})[/itex] to [itex]S = (0,0, - \sqrt{2})[/itex] which passes through the point [itex](1,1,0)[/itex]

Note that x=y for all (x,y,z) on C. Evaluate the integral :

[itex]\int_C z^2dx + 2x^2dy +xydz[/itex]

Hint : Use as your parameter the angle [itex]θ[/itex] subtended at the origin by the arc NP for a point P on C.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

So I wasn't sure how to get this one going. I'm told that C is a semi-circle on the sphere [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2 = 2[/itex] from one endpoint N to the other endpoint S which passes through (1,1,0).

So I know my first step is to parametrize using the angle θ.

So : [itex]x = cosθ, y = sinθ, z = ?[/itex] I'm thinking that z = θ. As for the interval of θ, I'm not quite sure.

Once I set the integral up, it will be easy to evaluate. I've never had a case of 3 variables over anything but lines so I'm a bit confused. I'm also thinking I may have to split this integral.

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

I would start with the normal parametrization of a sphere of radius [itex]\sqrt 2[/itex], which is what the hint is suggesting:
    [tex]
    x = \sqrt 2 \cos\phi \sin\theta \\
    y = \sqrt 2 \sin\phi \sin\theta \\
    z = \sqrt 2 \cos \theta
    [/tex]
    where [itex]0 \leq \phi < 2\pi[/itex] and [itex]0 \leq \theta \leq \pi[/itex].

The curve C is the curve of constant [itex]\phi[/itex] which passes through the point (1,1,0). At this point [itex]\sin \theta = 1[/itex] and so
    [tex]
    1 = \sqrt 2 \cos\phi \\
    1 = \sqrt 2 \sin\phi
    [/tex]
    so that [itex]\cos\phi = \sin\phi = 1/\sqrt 2[/itex] on C.

4. Jan 14, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The hint is slightly misleading, IMO, since it is talking about ##\theta## instead of ##\phi##. If you think about the curve C in terms of spherical coordinates, ##\rho## is fixed at ##\sqrt{2}##, and the only thing that varies is ##\phi##, which ranges from 0 to ##\pi##. In spherical coordinates, ##\theta## is the angle that a vector in the x-y plane makes with the positive x-axis. ##\phi## is the angle that a vector makes with the positive z-axis.

5. Jan 14, 2013 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Thanks for the pointers guys, the only problem is I'm still not allowed to use spherical coordinates I believe as we have not been taught it yet.

I sat down and thought about it for a bit though. That note of x=y actually has some usage I believe.

If x = y, then [itex]2x^2 + z^2 = 2[/itex] or [itex]2y^2 + z^2 = 2[/itex]

I'm thinking that I can solve one of those to get my dx, dy and dz if I'm not mistaken?

Hopefully my professor gets to spherical and cylindrical coordinates soon.

6. Jan 14, 2013 #5

Mark44

Are you sure? This doesn't seem to me to be a valid reason for not using spherical coordinates, since they aren't really related to integration techniques.

If you really can't use spherical coordinates, the thing about the curve C is that the radius is constant and the thing that varies is the angle, as measured from the z-axis. The radius is ##\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}##.

7. Jan 14, 2013 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I asked him personally today and he told me that we could not use them which is why he gave the hint x = y.

I suppose you're now hinting that my last post was on the right track then? If so then solving and taking derivatives wont be a problem.

8. Jan 15, 2013 #7
    Would help if you drew stuff you know. Also, how about just doing the first one for starters:

[tex]\int_C z^2 dx[/tex]

and keep in mind it's a half-circle along the diagonal at [itex]\pi/4[/itex] right so that's x=y. For starters, if that's so, then when we do the z^2, we'll have:

[tex]z^2\biggr|_{C}=2-(x^2+y^2)=2-2x^2[/tex]

and since you want to parameterize it in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex], we could write the integral (for starters) as:

[tex]\int_{\pi/2}^{-\pi/2} z^2dx,\quad z=z(\theta), x=x(\theta)[/tex]

Maybe that's confussing though and that direction is a little messy. So how about I just do it in the reverse direction then I could consider the integral:

[tex]\int_{\pi/2}^{-\pi/2} z^2dx=-\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} z^2dx[/tex]

But just do half of it for starters and consider:

[tex]-\int_0^{\pi/2} (2-2x^2) dx[/tex]

So what's [itex]x(\theta)[/itex] along that curve now? Keep in mind it's in 3-D so first get the diagonal distance to the point (x,x) as a function of theta, then do a cosine on it to get x right?

I think so anyway. Haven't checked this.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  9. Jan 15, 2013 #8

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Wait wait... that last post confused me a bit.

So if x = y, then we have two scenarios.

[itex]2x^2+z^2 = 2[/itex] and [itex]2y^2+z^2 = 2[/itex]

If [itex]2x^2+z^2 = 2[/itex], then [itex]x = ± \sqrt{1- \frac{z^2}{2}}[/itex], similarily for y we get [itex]y = ± \sqrt{1- \frac{z^2}{2}}[/itex] since x=y.

Solving either one of them for z we get [itex]z = ± \sqrt{2} \sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]

Now I'm a bit hesitant with what to do with these when finding my dx, dy and dz or am I completely off here? Also since I have abunch of plus minus scenarios, I'm not sure which to choose?

10. Jan 15, 2013 #9
    Gotta draw stuff. If you did then you'd know for as least my integral:

[tex]\int_0^{\pi/2} (2-2x^2)dx[/tex]

everything is positive since I'm integrating over the x-y plane in the first quadrant over the sphere surface over that quadrant which is also positive z.

Take a point z on that contour between 0 and pi/2 over the x-y plane. Drop a line down to the x-y plane to the point (x,y). A diagonal line from the origin to the point (x,x) say is [itex]\rho[/itex]. Then we can write:

[tex]\rho^2=2x^2[/tex]

Now [itex]\rho[/itex] become the base of another triangle, the points are from (0,0,0) to (x,x,0) to (x,x,z). We know what the hypotnuse is, [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and the angle between the x-y plane and the hypotnuse is say our [itex]\theta[/itex]. Then:

[tex]\cos(\theta)=\frac{\rho}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

or [tex]\rho=\sqrt{2}\cos(\theta)=\sqrt{2}x[/tex]

Then:

[tex]x(\theta)=\cos(\theta)[/tex]

Ok, that's the first one. Try and do the other two now if I've succeeded in helping you understand the principle.

11. Jan 16, 2013 #10

pasmith

Homework Helper

There are two exactly opposite conventions as to what [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] mean.

12. Jan 16, 2013 #11

Mark44

That may be, but the calculus texts that I remember teaching from used the convention that I described.

13. Jan 16, 2013 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In physics it's almost always the other way around. Not that this looks like a physics problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook