Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Computing Electric Field From The Potential

1. Sep 23, 2011 #1
    Hi all. I'm having a very hard time understanding this portion of Physics so please bear with me.

The furthest I got with this problem is deciding to use the sum of the potentials at each point to calculate the potential of the system. Something like...

[itex]\frac{kq_{1}}{r_{1}}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{kq_{2}}{r_{2}}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{kq_{3}}{r_{3}}[/itex]

I think that's the right approach since they are point charges. But now, I'm completely stuck and I don't know what I should do next... Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What are the values of r1, r2, and r3 at position x along the x-axis ?

4. Sep 23, 2011 #3
    Here's what I've done in regards to your question... I hope im on the right track...

link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/244748/2011-09-23%2018.29.26.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Sep 23, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]\sqrt{x^2+a^2}\ne x+a[/itex]

However, [itex]\sqrt{x^2+(-a)^2}=\sqrt{x^2+a^2}\,.[/itex]

r3 = | x - a | . If x > a then |x - a| = x -a . Otherwise, |x - a| = a - x .

So, V(x) = ?

6. Sep 24, 2011 #5
    So I suppose [itex]V(x) = kq(\frac{2}{\sqrt{x^{2}+a^{2}}} + \frac{1}{a-x})[/itex] if [itex]x < a[/itex] and [itex]V(x) = kq(\frac{2}{\sqrt{x^{2}+a^{2}}} + \frac{1}{x-a})[/itex] if [itex]x > a[/itex].

I think I can compute [itex]E_{x}(x)[/itex] from here.. Thanks for all your help!

7. Sep 24, 2011 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good !

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook