Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing geodesic distances from structural data

1. Jun 16, 2014 #1
    Greetings,

I am attempting to compute geodesic distances on manifolds where structural data have been sparsely sampled.

First, off I am not well versed in the mathematics of differential geometry but I do have some knowledge (from an introductory differential geometry class in my undergrad). So forgive me if this question may seem simple.

The structural data that I have includes point locations of the manifold/surface in R^3 along with normals which describe the orientation of the manifold/surface.

In all examples in my DF class notes the type of manifold/surface was always known prior ( e.g. sphere, torus) to solving the geodesic equation and computing the geodesic distance. For these cases, it was easy to compute the metric since these surfaces are easy to parameterize. Now that I am trying to apply what I learned from the class (which was 10 years ago) in a real world scenario I am having a lot of trouble trying to determine how I solve it.

Surely there is a way to compute geodesic distances in this real world scenario. Can someone please help me with this problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook