How do we compute the geodesic between two points on a flat manifold?

In summary, when a manifold has a flat metric, the geodesics are always straight lines in the parameter space. However, this only applies when using coordinates that are adapted to the flat geometry of the manifold. In other coordinates, geodesics may not be straight lines. Additionally, the distance between two points on a manifold may vary depending on the chosen geometry. It is important to consider the geometry and coordinates when calculating geodesic distances.
mnb96
Hello,
I read that when a manifold has a flat metric, the geodesics are always straight lines in the parameter space. I have two questions:

(1)
If we are given a Clifford torus [tex]S^1 \times S^1[/tex] (which is flat), how do we compute the geodesic between two points? Is the following correct?

[tex]\sqrt{\min\left\{ \left|\theta_{1}-\theta_{2}\right|,\,2\pi-\left|\theta_{1}-\theta_{2}\right|\right\}^2 +\min\left\{ \left|\phi_{1}-\phi_{2}\right|,\,2\pi-\left|\phi_{1}-\phi_{2}\right|\right\}^2}[/tex](2)
Let's consider a torus in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] with R=r=1, where R and r are respectively the distance from the center, and the cross-section radius.
Now the geodesics are not straight lines in the parameter space, however can we say that the above formula defines a distance between points on the torus?
If the answer is yes, shall we conclude that, when simply looking for a 'distance', knowing whether a manifold is flat or not is irrelevant?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mnb96 said:
Hello,
I read that when a manifold has a flat metric, the geodesics are always straight lines in the parameter space.

The correct statement is: if the manifold is flat that one locally introduce coordinates in which the geodesics are given by straight lines. In other coordinates, that are not adapted to the flat geometry of the manifold, geodesics will not be straight lines.

I see...
but does that mean that the formula I wrote to compute the length of the shortest path is wrong?
That formula would at least work in the case of a [itex]S^1[/itex] sphere, as it gives the length of the shortest arc, so I thought it might work for [itex]S^1 \times S^1[/itex].

As we can "unwrap" the unit circle [itex]S^1[/itex] into a straight line, I thought I was allowed to unwrap [itex]S^1 \times S^1[/itex] onto a xy-plane.

Anyways, were you basically saying that what I wrote is simply a distance, and I didn't prove that it is also the length of the geodesic shortest path between two points on the Clifford torus?

Last edited:
Now, you need to specify which geometry you want to put on your torus. The flat geometry induced by the parameters [tex]\theta,\phi[/tex]? Then the geodesic segments for this geometry are straight lines - induced from the flat square. What you wrote is the distance along the geodesics of this geometry.

As fror your question:

If the answer is yes, shall we conclude that, when simply looking for a 'distance', knowing whether a manifold is flat or not is irrelevant?

the answer is "sometimes". When you see that in some coordinates the metric coefficients are constant, then your manifold is flat. When you them non-constant, then you still don't know you need to calculate the curvature tensor.

Last edited:
arkajad said:
Now, you need to specify which geometry you want to put on your torus. The flat geometry induced by the parameters [tex]\theta,\phi[/tex]?

Yes! ... did I actually have other choices?

... should I also expect that the formula I wrote will give me the same results as the formula D(q,q') you wrote some time ago https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2911801&postcount=6" (applied to the Clifford Torus)?

Last edited by a moderator:
The distance between two quaternions is measured using the geometry of [tex]S^3[/tex]. Geodesics there are great circles. I don't think that lines of constant [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] that you are using are great circles of [tex]S^3[/tex]?

I guess in general they are not. However using Hopf coordinates [itex](\psi,\theta,\phi)[/itex] the Clifford torus is given by the "slice" [itex](\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2},\theta,\phi)[/itex]. I will to figure out if the two geodesic distances coincide, in this case. Intuitively they should, the same way the geodesic distance for two points on the equator of the S^2 sphere reduces to the shortest-arc on the circle, but I am probably wrong, as my intuition is not yet well developed.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
mnb96 said:
...Intuitively they should, the same way the geodesic distance for two points on the equator of the S^2 sphere reduces to the shortest-arc on the circle, but I am probably wrong, as my intuition is not yet well developed...

Indeed, I was wrong but at least now I clearly understand why. Brutally using the same metric for the sphere on a submanifold of it won't ensure that the measured length will be the length of a geodesic sitting on that submanifold.

This also happens for the S^2 sphere. If we constraint ourselves to move along a parallel close to the north-pole, using the geodesic distance on the whole sphere will give us the length of the shortest path which might even pass through the north pole! and these are not a geodesics on our submanifold (the parallel).

Now I see more clearly, why we had to compute the pullback metric of the S^3 sphere on the Clifford torus.

Related to How do we compute the geodesic between two points on a flat manifold?

What is a flat manifold?

A flat manifold is a mathematical concept used to describe a space that appears flat or Euclidean at every point. This means that it has no curvature or bending, and is locally equivalent to a flat plane.

How are distances measured on flat manifolds?

Distances on flat manifolds are measured using the Pythagorean theorem, just like in Euclidean geometry. This means that the distance between two points is calculated by finding the square root of the sum of the squares of the differences between their coordinates.

Can flat manifolds have negative distances?

No, flat manifolds cannot have negative distances. The Pythagorean theorem only works for positive values, and since flat manifolds are locally equivalent to a flat plane, they follow the same rules of geometry.

Are all flat manifolds the same?

No, not all flat manifolds are the same. While they may all appear flat locally, they can have different global properties and topologies. For example, a flat torus and a flat plane have different global structures, even though they both appear flat locally.

How are distances affected by the shape of a flat manifold?

The shape of a flat manifold does not affect distances between points. As long as the manifold is flat, distances can be calculated using the same methods, regardless of its shape or topology.