1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing Jupiter's Thermal Time Scale!

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    1. Jupiter radiates more energy than it receives from the Sun by 8.7x10-10L0. Jupiter's radius is 7.0x109cm and its mass is 1.9x1030g. Compute its thermal time scale. Could gravitational collapse power this luminosity for Jupiter's entire lifetime of 4.5 Gyr?

2. Kelvin-Helmholtz (aka thermal) timescale equation is given by: t=ΔEg/L . ΔEg=GM2/R ... so, t=GM2/RL

3. Not sure what to sub in for "L" in the timescale equation. I'm guessing I have to use the 8.7x10-10 to figure that out. Any tips in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2
    L for the timescale equation is just the luminosity of Jupiter. 8.7x10-10Lo is referring to the intrinsic luminosity of jupiter as a fraction of the solar luminosity. Astronomical units that have that subscript that looks like a dot with a circle around it are solar units.

4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    so i just convert the solar luminosity fraction to erg/s and then plug and chug?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook