Computing the pole mass from a given MS mass?

In summary, the pole mass depends on the scale you use in the conversion, and can be calculated using equations hepth linked too.
unknown1111
Given a Yukawa coupling as a function of scale and a vev, how can I compute the corresponding pole mas?

Understandably most paper explain how from a measured pole mass one can compute the running mass, for example, Eq. 19 here. However I want to compute the pole mass from the running mass. In all formulas I can find the pole mass seems to depend on the scale, although it shouldn't, and thus I'm not sure which value I should use for the scale in the formula...

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for the late reply. Did you ever figure out what to do here?

I had a think about it. I came up with the following:

1) It depends under what your yukawa coupling is running. Are you considering both yukawa and full gauge coupling dependence (g1,g2,gs) in the running y(mu)? Then I think the conversion depends on the choice of renormalisation scheme (all msbar, or part msbar part on-shell scheme).

For example, it could be that you choose to renormalise electroweak couplings/gauge boson masses in the on-shell scheme. Then, the vev should be mu-independent, then you can directly convert the yukawa into the msbar mass using an input value of vev (or eliminating in terms of GFermi or similar).

2) Then you can apply the MSbar -> Mpole conversion according to the equations hepth linked too. Then, the mu-dependence of your answer should be removed in this conversion (i.e. it doesn't matter which scale you do it at) and the answer for the pole mass should not depend on mu.

How far did you get with this? Let me know and I can help farther

1. What is the difference between pole mass and MS mass?

The pole mass is the mass of a particle as it is defined in the fundamental theory, whereas the MS mass is a renormalized mass that takes into account the effects of virtual particles and other factors. The two masses can differ by a significant amount.

2. How is the pole mass calculated from a given MS mass?

The pole mass is typically calculated using perturbation theory, which involves a series of calculations and approximations based on the known interactions of the particle. The final result is an expression that relates the pole mass to the MS mass and other parameters.

3. What is the accuracy of computing the pole mass from a given MS mass?

The accuracy of this calculation depends on the specific theory and approximation techniques used. In general, the accuracy can range from a few percent to a few parts per thousand.

4. Are there any limitations to computing the pole mass from a given MS mass?

Yes, there are several limitations to consider. First, the perturbation theory used to calculate the pole mass may break down if the interactions of the particle are too strong. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation may be affected by the complexity of the theory and the precision of experimental measurements.

5. How is the pole mass used in experimental measurements?

The pole mass is often used as a reference point for experimental measurements, as it is a more fundamental quantity than the renormalized MS mass. However, due to its theoretical complexity, it may be more practical to use the MS mass in certain situations. Ultimately, the choice depends on the specific application and the level of precision required.